Exploring the many uses of patterns for other craft projects.
By nosferatu
I'm sure you have all seen chinese sky lanterns.

I thought that they may work using Ryan's stencils. The first one I am trying is Chucky.....work in progress.

Because they are made of rice paper, they are quite delicate but the stenciling, due to the size, need only be approximate. This one is about two and a half foot.

Obviously not finished yet but I think a few of these flying over houses on halloween would look great...... if we had a vampire bat design, of course, although given the topics so far this year, I plan on doing Slimer
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Wow, what a great idea. Having some sky lanterns floating above on Halloween seems quite fitting. I'll have to see if I can come up with some more designs that would look appropriate "flying."

Nice "Bride of ZP" era pattern you have there. You must be a big collector. :wink:
By nosferatu
The Chucky pattern remains one of my favourites in spite of the fact that I hated the film.

I have also just bought some black canvas shopping bags in order to embroider some of the designs onto them. I don't actually know how to do this but I am giving it a go.

Dementia, Frankenstein's Monster, Ghoul are dead certs as is Chucky.

As for the patterns themselves, I am on my fourth ringbinder now and only the other day, our plumber was flicking through them - How much an hour was I paying him to do this? - and he was amazed. I would still love to see them in print one day - maybe when you reach 500 patterns?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
So would you say that this particular Chucky image is a favorite, and not the character itself? Let's say I released a new Chucky design for 2009... would you have interest in that? I'm not saying that it's already made or anything, just asking. :|

Embroidered onto black canvas bags sounds great. You're a leader around here when it comes to innovative uses for the patterns. Your creativity is always appreciated.

You're on your fourth ringbinder? I thought I had all my patterns printed and bound the same way, and yet I'm only on my second binder. Maybe I just bought bigger binders.
By Raven
Yet another great idea Nos! Very good decorating idea with the lanterns. I hope you post a picture of the finished product.
By nosferatu
A new Chucky pattern would be great. I absolutely love the character but just didn't take to the film itself - or its sequels. Unfortunately, the film has a tragic history tied in with it over here and that also partly played an influence and tainted my judgement.

2009, however, is shaping up to be a vintage year already - Wacko Jacko, TikiMo, 2 other definites and a fairly strong hint of another Chucky, hmmm? What else I wonder?

I always print quite a few copies off. One I immediately cut into black card and laminate. Copy two is the pattern itself - also laminated. Then I like to keep a couple of copies to mess around with. I then, rather sadly, file them alphabetically.

For instance, I spent a couple of hours today trying to get the Hannibal stencil to work as a pop up card. Facemask in the foreground, eyes and forehead recessed to give it a 3d aspect. It's not quite there but not far off. Will leave it a few weeks and come back to it.

Ravens - Hopefully I won't be crying "Oh the humanity" as I light it. I bought a pack of ten on ebay and where we are going on holiday in August has a torchlight procession and bonfire. That is where I am hoping to launch the other nine (after a Chucky test flight). I will be armed with flyers of course, camera and video camera
By GUS
I did some of these a while back using ZP stencils,
amazing how an air-brush simplifies matters, have you got one Nos?
have some extra BBQ lighting gel at the ready so you can take some good pictures before setting it free (that way you won't impinge on flight time after the hard work).
By nosferatu
Fraid not GUS. Wish I did but I don't. Maybe it would be prudent to invest in one.

I tried painting a test area but because the wax / rice paper is so thin, the wetness of it seemed likely to adversely affect it. What did you use? What designs did you do?

I have done the outline for Slimer today but due to the heatwave I am more predisposed to spontaneous combustion than anything that else that requires an ounce of effort.
By purple1worm
Can't wait to see some pics of flying Chucky!!
By GUS
try good old greaseproof as backing & extreme caution...
finest of the fine spray of course...

(I used to make tissue ones when I was about nine yrs old)

experiment with multiple burners eg the empty nightlight containers especially if you want to go & track it in case it's retrievable.

..as for designs, jack-o lanterns & a tigger for the nippers present.
you might wish to add a coin cell battery flashing led as well, strung below so it is more likely to be visible not covered upon landing (tiny bit of cotton)
By nosferatu
I will not be tracking them as they will be launched from a tiny island not far off the coast of France.

My main concern is that if I launch them on mass, the French will think they are under attack and start evacuating north quicker than you can say "We surrender".

Not that they have set any precedant for that of course.
By GUS
(sharp intake of breath) ..............................................

...true! ..hope you're not going to mention any "cleese-isms" if you cross into ex Vichy territory Nos,
By nosferatu
Actually I love France.

The people, the country. Paris is my favourite city.....by a mile. We are always cruel to the ones we love most.
By GUS
Ros-beef Nos (actually a bit red rum-ish) ros-beef
Yeah I love the French Alps , hate alot of the ruddy english there though, ..shameful.

poor french people, they don't know why they say it, or what it actually refers to, they just say it without realisng how it actually refers to themselves!