Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
By MaryBritton89
Got some Walmart foamies in the mail yesterday and got started. I went to numerous stores over the weekend and they either didn't have foam pumpkins or they only had $80 ones. Sorry Hobby Lobby, even with a 40% coupon, those prices don't fly. Luckily I found some online at Walmart ($9.97/ea) and Michaels ($14.99/ea).
Ziggy Stardust has a color changing light, thought it was fitting.
By amandap80
Great carves! How do the Walmart foamies carve? It looks similar to a Michael's foam carve. Great black kitty too! :love:
By MaryBritton89
I've only carved the Walmart ones so far (didn't want to buy expensive until I tried it out). They are very thin/easy to cut with a hot knife. I have two Michael's pumpkins but I haven't gotten to them yet. Once I do I can give you a better comparison.
amandap80 liked this
By Jackoman
I just bought some walmart foamies cant wait to try the outside is so smooth and no ribs!
By MaryBritton89
amandap80 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:24 pm
Great carves! How do the Walmart foamies carve? It looks similar to a Michael's foam carve. Great black kitty too! :love:
Hi Amanda, Finally got around to carving my Michael's Pumpkins (Tammy and Tom Morrow).
I have to say, both the Walmart and Michael's foamies have their pros and cons.

The Walmart ones are softer, more foamy. Making them easier to cut with a hot knife, it really is like butter. But because they are so soft, it can make punching out the pieces a little difficult if you didnt cut all the way through. I spend more time re-cutting and punching then carving.

The Michael's ones are stiffer, almost like a paper product instead of a plastic foam. This made carving a little difficult and im not sure if I could do a really intricate pattern on these. That said, since they are so stiff, punching out pieces was a "piece" of cake. I barely spent any time having to go over lines.

Other Pros, Walmart's are cheap! But Michael's definitely look more realistic.
amandap80 liked this