Show off your pumpkin pics and tells us about the experience.
Thanks for dropping by to check out my status for Halloween 2021.

Just finished buying pumpkins today and added the last 8 to the batch, so a nice round 30 for this year.

ImagePumpkins...pumpkins...PUMPKINS!

Now that the raw material for the festivities have been secured, I've started to take a look at the new designs that Ryan has published as well as looking back on designs that for one reason or another I chose not carve (lack of pumpkins is usually the only reason).

Once I get a feel for what designs to carve then I'll update this post with the list.

Thanks again for checking by, and hopefully it won't be too much longer before I can actually start carving and setup some photoshoots!!
Last edited by Bravo020 on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
amandap80 liked this
Ajax wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:59 pm
Are those oranges seedless? Wait those are pumpkins? I think you got to many. :shock:
I think that my motto is "Sunt cucurbitis numquam satis...", "There are never enough pumpkins...".

Just got to hope that we don't lose any to rot and I'm going to start the carving over Thursday/Friday. Lots of clingfilm and soaking pumpkins should keep them in good condition for Halloween I hope.
Design Choices for Halloween 2021 are final now and all carving completed:

Burton's Nightmares
  • Simply Meant To Be - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Creative Classics
  • Gloom and Broom - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Haunted Manor - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Sugar Skull - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Vintage Villains
  • Norman Bates - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Winged Monkey & Wicked Witch of the West - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Frankenstein's Monster - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Retro Rogues
  • Freddy Krueger - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Modern Monsters
  • Ghostface - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Michael Myers - Halloween Kills - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Heroic Headliners
  • Tin Man, Cowardly Lion & Scarecrow - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Dorothy Gale - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Eric Draven - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Spider-Man & Venom - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Hallowed Henson
  • Sweetums - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Animated Allies
  • Scar & Simba - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Scooby-Doo - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Skeletor - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Mumm-Ra - Done :jack_o_lantern:
[/list]
  • The Great Pumpkin - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Cruella de Vil - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Despicable Me Minion - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Squidward Face - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Jolly Jacks
  • Age of the ZP! - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Phantom Phrases
  • Baby's 1st - Next-door neighbour have a new baby - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Dead End - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Until Death Do Us Part - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Pixel Players
  • Freddy Fazbear - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Haunter & Pikachu - Done :jack_o_lantern:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Rock Gods
  • Alice Cooper - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Television Terrors
  • Kang & Bart the Fly - Done :jack_o_lantern:
Umm...more designs than pumpkins...gonna have to double-up some of these designs...

Patterns that didn't make the cut this year.
  • Chucky
  • Witch Mask Lucy
  • One-Eyed Willy
  • Sloth
  • Dr. Frank-N-Furter
Last edited by Bravo020 on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:21 am, edited 39 times in total.
I will say that I didn't realise how tricky the Scooby-Doo design would be. It's quite misleading when you look at the design as to how narrow some of the pieces are that remain on the pumpkin. You have to be very careful, and quite tricky when using Stick 'n Carve as it begins to dissolve in all the wrong places. Glad to get that out of the way before my arms and hands are too tired.
I have had that problem with stick and carve. I still use saral paper for complicated patterns and go over it with a marker to make sure I don't lose my pattern. I have had some luck with stick and carve but it just depends on the pattern. Stitches are just hard.
Bravo020 liked this
Ajax wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:37 am
I have had that problem with stick and carve. I still use saral paper for complicated patterns and go over it with a marker to make sure I don't lose my pattern. I have had some luck with stick and carve but it just depends on the pattern. Stitches are just hard.
Yes, I totally agree. I still have some Saral close to hand if I need to resort to it, but I've not hit a complete blocker yet on any of the designs over the years that I've used Stick 'n Carve. Some pumpkins just ooze more than others. But good to give me the reminder about Saral, as that was my normal approach to carving designs a number of years back.
Gonna call the carving done for 2021, a two day carving session and the end result is...

39 designs on 32 pumpkins, no more pumpkins left, and only a single sheet of Stick 'n Carve left to my name! (Gonna have to put in an order for more packets for next year!).

My two children helped out a lot more this year, 8 pumpkins between the two of them all in an afternoon!!

Well, late for me, I'll sort out a photoshoot tomorrow in prep for Halloween itself, still got some decorating to complete and some normal chores as well (makes a change to carving pumpkins!!).

Happy Halloween everyone!