Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By matspud
For all of us North of the Border - if you can get to Cairnie Fruit farm just outside Cupar in Fife. They have amazing pumpkins this year - they decided to grow 3 polytunnels worrh as well as the usual patch. Massive kins are £4.50 but on 3 for 2 at the moment. :D :D Image

The one above the sign is bigger than it looks in the photo - subject of a guess the weight competition
Last edited by matspud on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By monstermash
Stunning. Look about the same size as mine. Im tempted to get a few more now. Watch out John! I'm coming for your biggest!!! :twisted: :lol:
By amandap80
Those are quite gorgeous gourds!
By SuperSonic
I really like the one in the middle in the second picture. That one looks real nice :)
By matspud
No idea. Will try to weigh some of them. I know I could hardly lift a couple of them :D Wish I had been allowed into the poly tunnels to have a look and take some pics but I think it was probably for the best that I wasn't :D I like that they have left the stems longer ( for the most part) . They carve a lot of them on site for people and they usually do the faces that use the stem as the nose.
By matspud
Finally got round to weighing some of my babies. Surprisingly the smallest wasn't the lightest.
Lightest - 19.8lb
Heaviest ( and biggest) - 50.4lb

I would say the average of the ones carved to date is about 30lb.
By matspud
Got warned not to take all the biggest ones this year :shock: even though they are only starting to bring the kins in from the polytunnels. My opinion is - if you want to keep some back, fine but if they are at the shop they are for sale :? If they have as many as last year this will be less than 10% of what the have. I hope they do the 3 for 2 offer this year again as it is £6.50 for the largest ones.

"blue" and ghost pumpkins

The ones in the foreground are about the size of a large tesco.

I liked the colouring of the larger one on the left.
By S.A.M
Nice pumpkin selection you've got to choose from there matspud, how odd that they'd tell you not to buy all the big ones, of course you're going to want the best you can get, it's a little unfair of them to warn you off :? I got my pumpkins today but the farm I use has had a bad crop, he's down 4,000 'kins on his crop this year and none of them are very tall, better than the supermarket 'kins but still a little disappointing :( It's a good job I'm used to carving shrunken patterns :lol:
By Raven
Why do they care if someone takes all the largest ones? They are still getting money for them.. That's when you get a bunch of friends or family together and give them enough money to buy a few each for you. :P