Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By S.A.M
Well after scouring the supermarkets and being disappointed at the size & price I decided to put out my tendrils and go straight to the source, the farmer! I'm so happy, I've found pumpkin heaven and it's cheap, only £2 a pumpkin!!

The big ones were towards the back, look at them peeking out of the crates;

Safe ride home;

Surrounding the supermarket pumpkins, now you can see why I'm so happy :D

Not the biggest of the bunch but my hand for a bit of scale;

They're not the biggest on here but compared to the ones I thought I'd have to make do with, they're huge!! Now I'm happy, now I can't wait for Halloween, apparently my face was a picture when I entered the barn lol I was in awe :D
By nosferatu
They're fab,SAM. A great find. For one second, I thought you had bought an entire bin. They will look great carved, particularly like those tall ones.
By matspud
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO S.A.M. Congratulations :D :D :D Looking good :-) ( I am guessing your hand is bigger than mine otherwise that pumpkin is TINY :-D )
By amandap80
Nice selection, love that tall gangly one!
By S.A.M
nosferatu wrote:They're fab,SAM. A great find. For one second, I thought you had bought an entire bin. They will look great carved, particularly like those tall ones.
:lol: If I had enough money to buy a crate of them I would have. The farm doesn't have any signs up saying that he has pumpkins for sale, the crates are destined for local retailers; this might be the last year though :( There were 20 'kins nicked from the field last night before they could get them in.
matspud wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO S.A.M. Congratulations :D :D :D Looking good :-) ( I am guessing your hand is bigger than mine otherwise that pumpkin is TINY :-D )
Thanks! I'm over the moon with my pumpkins, it's not far away either if I need to replenish them I can do easily as long as there are some left. Nah that's a huge pumpkin, I've got hands like a gorilla :lol:

The farm pumpkin is on a left and the Asda one is on the right (as if you needed telling) both the same price £2 each (asda 2 for £3)
zombombie wrote:What a terrific find :thumbsup: Lovely sizes, I especially like the tall one!
amandap80 wrote:Nice selection, love that tall gangly one!
Thanks :D There weren't many tall ones and as the crates were for customers I thought it best not to push it by rummaging around too much.

What kind of pattern do you think I should put on it? I don't want to waste it, it deserves something fitting. Wonder if any new patterns will fit the 'kin? I'd love to know what you guys would put on it :thumbsup:

Like I said before I know they're not the best pumpkins on here but to me they're a great step up from the market 'kins, I wan't more :shock: I think you'd be paying £5+ for these big 'kins elsewhere.
Last edited by S.A.M on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By nosferatu
The good thing about buying direct though is that it is money straight in his pocket. No paltry percentage just hard cash. They will look brilliant carved. One thing though......they will never fit on your stairs! I love that shot too.

Hopefully the ones nicked had a touch of rot and some soil, flesh eating disease.
By S.A.M
nosferatu wrote: One thing though......they will never fit on your stairs! I love that shot too.

Hopefully the ones nicked had a touch of rot and some soil, flesh eating disease.
Hmm I hand't thought of that :shock: I'll have to re-build the stairs bigger before Halloween!
Haha yes me too, but would that mean they'd nicked a true zombie pumpkin? Thieving little *beep*
By midimob
Hi
Whereabouts did you get these from??

I'm in Skipton, North Yorkshire.

As you say the supermarket offerings this year seem very poor.

Thanks
:)=
By S.A.M
midimob wrote:Hi
Whereabouts did you get these from??

I'm in Skipton, North Yorkshire.

As you say the supermarket offerings this year seem very poor.

Thanks
:)=
Hello
Sorry I missed your reply, these are from a farm not too far from Selby, I don't know if that's too far from Skipton, sorry to say I don't have the full address, I just know how to get there from my area :lol:
By SuperSonic
These are some cool pumpkins! Nice find. That comparison is scary though :shock:
By S.A.M
Thanks for the Gandalf suggestion, that's the pattern I was thinking of too :)

I bought two more big pumpkins today but upon storing them I noticed one of the 'kins from my last haul had the dreaded stalk mould :( I've now stored it separately from the others and given it a wipe over with a very mild tea tree oil and water solution, hopefully it'll last a week because it's one of my bigger ones :?