Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
This is my 5th or 6th year of growing my own pumpkins, many that will be carved in October. Here's the pumpkins I planted behind the office that I work at.
Update: The patch has done pretty well this year despite not getting a whole lot of rain. I've tried to keep up with watering, and so far the results are pretty good. With having 15 plants in the patch, I was hoping for at least 15 pumpkins, but due to insects wreaking havoc I only have 4 that are good size and are turning orange, with another 4 that aren't near being done.

By Pumpkinfreak
Great looking pumpkins!
And I get what you mean, I've been having a huge insect problem with my pumpkins too this year, leaving me only a few good ones. :shock:
The weather here hasn't exactly been good either, so I hope the ones that are still good make it.
Still doesn't ruin my Halloween spirit though, nothing will :wink:
Pumpkinfreak wrote:Great looking pumpkins!
And I get what you mean, I've been having a huge insect problem with my pumpkins too this year, leaving me only a few good ones. :shock:
The weather here hasn't exactly been good either, so I hope the ones that are still good make it.
Still doesn't ruin my Halloween spirit though, nothing will :wink:
Thank you! I love being able to carve ones that I've grown on my own. It just adds a little something to the end product.

The squash vine borers have been TERRIBLE! I've lost way too many plants before I should have. I took two off the vines yesterday, one was 17 lbs. and the other 19.5. They only grew for about 21 days before turning, and at the rate they were going I thought they'd get to be around 35 lbs. before cutting them off I examined the vines and saw both had been killed early due to squash vine borers.

Good luck to your pumpkins. Hopefully we still have a few more weeks of growing season.