Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By OrangeOrb
I didn’t grow this pumpkin, but found it at a produce stand. For some reason, I’m always drawn to tall, skinny pumpkins, & this is the skinniest one I’ve ever found. Now, I have to find a good pattern for it!
staticfurball liked this
By Mayor of Haddonfield
Whenever I find a tall skinny pumpkin, I immediately think of either Walter White, Homer Simpson, or Scared to Death. David S. Pumpkins or the Silver Shamrock Skull Mask would also work pretty well on that pumpkin.
By OrangeOrb
Thanks for the ideas! Someone suggested Slender Man, but I haven’t seen a pattern. I’m not in the same league as you expert carvers, so I can’t do the challenging ones. I just love pumpkins!
By shaft28
I’d take one of the grinning jacks and stretch it out. I love tall thin pumpkins with a huge mouth carved in it.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I'd be drawn to a cool skinny pumpkin like that too. But it's hard to find a pattern that is well suited, because they are designed to fit on a standard sheet of paper. That pumpkin is a different width/height ratio. You'd need to stack two pieces of paper on top of each other. And I don't have a double-height pattern design... yet.
By OrangeOrb
shaft28 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:35 pm
I’d take one of the grinning jacks and stretch it out. I love tall thin pumpkins with a huge mouth carved in it.
That’s a good option, too. I knew I could get some great ideas from the creative people here. Thanks for the input.
shaft28 liked this
By OrangeOrb
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:21 am
I'd be drawn to a cool skinny pumpkin like that too. But it's hard to find a pattern that is well suited, because they are designed to fit on a standard sheet of paper. That pumpkin is a different width/height ratio. You'd need to stack two pieces of paper on top of each other. And I don't have a double-height pattern design... yet.
It’s about 20”high with 10. 5 “ of front carving area. A double- height pattern would be fantastic. I’m hoping I can grow some pumpkins like this from the seeds. It would be cool to have a patch full of “skinnies”. Maybe the height would make adding arms & legs a good idea....
By OrangeOrb
BrookR1 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:47 pm
In the past, I would take a longish pattern and cut it into 3 pieces. Then glue to the pumpkin so each piece matches the shape of the pumpkin. You are stretching the pattern by cutting it up and replacing it on the pumpkin.
You’re a genius; I think I could do that. I’m going to start looking for patterns. Usually, I pick a pattern & then find a pumpkin to match. This year, I’ll be doing it backwards. Thanks a bunch for the tip.
By amandap80
This pumpkin screams Elvira!
By OrangeOrb
My pumpkin was knocked off the porch by a freak wind gust, & is split in the back. :cry: I don’t think it’s carvable anymore. I was really looking forward to finding a great pattern for it.