Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By Dadja
I hadn't planted a lot of pumpkins this year, so I only had 4 'real' pumpkins and 5 of my special variety...

With those 4 I had one, not that great pumpkin, and three perfectly shaped pumpkins. Last week I went to take a look and one of them was showing a small soft spot, So I carved it right away, not to let it go to waste... I checked the other ones and they were fine, so not to worry yet...

Yesterday I go to take a look and my 2 best ones were completely wrecked!!! All rotten and beyond carving... So that's it :( the three most beautiful pumpkins ever to grow on my patch didn't even last until the second half of October :( What's even worse is, I can't seem to find anywhere in the neighborhood that sells nice decent carveable pumpkins... Seems like my Halloween won't be much to talk about this year... :cry:
By S.A.M
Dadja I'm sorry to hear about your pumpkins :( As a fellow grower it has been my biggest worry so I can sort of understand how gutted you must feel, it's the worst thing that can happen in your patch :(
By Dadja
So this sad happening got me in 10th gear, and I started looking for pumpkins like a madman...

So I first went to a local farmer where I normally get my extra pumpkins, but this year he didn't really have any good ones. After going through his patch for a while I found 4 decent (but not great) pumpkins...

After that I went to a supermarket nearby in hope of finding some better stuff there. At first it seemed to end up as a failure. I only found one small (but nicely shaped) pumpkin. So i figured, ah well it's all I'll find... When walking to the register I suddenly bumped into the mother load! Boxes full of nice pumpkins Hallelujah! I bought three there. Only three because it was about $1,5 / kilo and I don't have to much money to spend on pumpkins...

Anyway... These are my new victims:

By Zombie Pumpkins!
Nice, looks like a healthy bunch, ready to be hacked. Glad you found some!