Pumpkin patch practices and gourd garden grooming.
By Flak
Anyone know good places in CT not too far from Darien to get pumpkins? I plan to do a whole bunch this year and I want to get buying as early as I can, I'm tired of getting stuck with second rate gimpy pumpkins. Heaven forbid I be so picky, ya know? :P
By Pumpkingrower
Even with gas down to 2.75 here I dont think a trip to Newport, RI is going to be cost effective. Maybe the Patchmaster can guide you in the right direction. Your best bet is to check the local nurseries and ask them and not the big nice ones but the mom and pop joints they have the real scoop and usually arent out for the buck.
By Flak
Oooooooh Patch Master! Where are youuuuuuuu?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Oh, hi Flak. Hehe, well let's see...

I've had good luck finding large pumpkins at a flower/pumpkin stand on Old Colony Rd in Wallingford, CT. I also have a good relationship with this farm stand on Route 68 in Durham, CT. (The one featured in this press article) I've also picked pumpkins at Bunnell Farm in Litchfield, CT and Lyman Orchards in Middlefield, CT.

But none of these are close to Darien, and probably not worth the drive just for the sake of seeking pumpkins. I recently moved to southern CT, so I might be researching additional places to get my gourds. If I make any good discovers, I'll pass the info along.
By mesmark
There aren't any small farms in Darien? As I remember Darien is pretty boony in some places right?

I grew up in Middletown and lived in Manchester for a while. I remember pumpkins right off the road side up near Storrs (route 68?) and also another spot on 384. They harvested there, made a big pile and just set out a tip bucket. Similar spots in Middletown.

There has to be something like that around you.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Who would have guessed that the guy in Japan would be the one giving advice about pumpkin purchasing in Connecticut? :lol: Thanks mesmark!
By mesmark
ZombiePumpkins wrote:Who would have guessed that the guy in Japan would be the one giving advice about pumpkin purchasing in Connecticut? :lol: Thanks mesmark!
Full of surprises, aren't I? :twisted:

Actually, that may be it. :P

I'm actually half Sooner, half Huskie. I was born and raised in Oklahoma and went to high school and college in CT. Then worked in New Britain for 3 years (living in Manchester, who wants to live in New Britain :o ) Hopped on a plane and found myself in Japan.
By Aylortay
who wants to live in New Britain
:oops:
By Aylortay
:lol: I'm about 3/4 mile away from the walgreens :) I'm in a weird spot, on the corner of one street that's really nice and upscale, but then the other street around the bend is total ghetto. haha I love my building though, it's beautiful
By Flak
mesmark wrote:There aren't any small farms in Darien? As I remember Darien is pretty boony in some places right?

I grew up in Middletown and lived in Manchester for a while. I remember pumpkins right off the road side up near Storrs (route 68?) and also another spot on 384. They harvested there, made a big pile and just set out a tip bucket. Similar spots in Middletown.

There has to be something like that around you.
Funny, I'm going to visit my brother up in Storrs (he's taking majoring in engineering at UConn) so I think I'll check them out possibly when I'm up there. I doubt if I'll come back with a haul but hey, it'll be an adventure.

Thanks for all the tips and stuff guys I appreciate it
By Flak
I saw a pumpkin patch (empty of course) on route 195 up to Storrs, I think that's the one you were thinking of Mark