Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By Gigatron
Hey guys,

We've all had small parts break off during a carve, so here's some simple tips, I've learned while doing more intricate carves (i.e. lots of open space and thin lines).

The most important one, is leave everything in place until all the lines are cut. I'm guessing most people like to cut out a piece of the pattern, and discard the excess. Leave it in. When you're cutting out the smaller details, you need something to push against, so you don't snap a piece off. Once all the lines are cut, start removing the excess pieces, but only one at a time. Pop the piece out, and trim/finalize your carve, before you move to the next piece. You want as little flex as possible.

Second, when you have to pop out a big piece, cut it into smaller pieces, to reduce the amount of pressure and flex required to remove it - especially if it's near smaller, delicate pieces.

Third, if you do manage to break off a piece, head on over to a local hobby shop (places that sell plastic models and the like) and pick up a bottle of cyanoacrylate (super glue) and a bottle of accelerator. Put a dab of glue on the pumpkin, and a drop of accelerator on the broken piece. When the two come together, you get an instant bond. No waiting, no having to hold a small piece in place, while you wait for the glue to set.

I apologize if this is all common knowledge, but these are things I learned the hard way, as I didn't see anything specifically mentioning these pitfalls.

-Fred
By Kayo
another thing I have found is that when starting lines that are really close together use a power drill with a tiny bit to start the cut. that was the only way i could do all the little hat detail of Baron Mojo last year with pumpkin master tools. now i work with drills almost everyday when working so it may be easier for me than others but if you have the skill with the tool i find it to be useful.

EDIT: also great for those round eyes that vex us so
Or for those that are uncomfortable with power tools, look into a pinvise. It's a hobbyist hand drill. Like an X-acto handle, but with a drill chuck, instead of a blade clamp. You get much finer control, for those who aren't all that familiar with the capabilities of a power drill.

-Fred