Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By lonogod
Hey everyone!

So, I've been carving ten to fifteen pumpkins every year for the past twelve years and I finally invested in some Funkins from Hobby Lobby (just a few to start with). However, I'm a little concerned because these things are really hard! I am NOT looking to use a dremel, hot knife, or any other tools like that. I was hoping to use my standard carving kit or even an Xacto knife if need be. Is this possible with Funkins? Can anyone give me some pointers on the best way to start? Perhaps even a video of a carve using just standard carving tools?

Thank you all! :)

- Lonogod
By lonogod
I figured someone would have responded by now, but perhaps all of my questions spooked some people. Sorry! :oops:

I guess I'll just ask one question:

Is it feasible to carve a Funkin with a standard carving kit?

Thank you!

- Lonogod
By zombombie
Hi!

So I've never carved a foam 'kin but here's what I've picked up from here.

If you use a serated carving knife you'll tear up the edges of the pattern. If you use an xacto knife it will take a while but it'll be smoother. You could use a combination of both of course! Hope that helps!
By Doh
It depends on what you are carving.
If it is a simple design then yes.
If it is the type of designs that I carve....the answer is SURE!...if you love pain and discomfort.
It would be like shoveling snow with a popsicle stick.
lonogod wrote:Is it feasible to carve a Funkin with a standard carving kit?
Absolutely. The teeth of a standard carving kit will saw right through the foam. It may leave rough edges, but you can smooth them with a nail file. Here's a photo of a Fun-kin, carved with a pumpkin carving saw tool:

I'd probably avoid a plain X-acto blade, because without the aid of saw teeth or heat to help the blade pass through the foam, it would take a lot of pressure. One slip and you could cut yourself.

Also, here's a video of a Fun-kin being carved with a basic $3 carving saw. You can be the judge.

By SuperSonic
I can say from experience thee Zombie Pumpkins Pro Carving too can cut right through the foam easily. However

My tip should you (and I think you should [SHAMELESS PLUG]) buy the ZP Pro Carving tool, is regardless of pattern, use the Detail saw for the pattern, and cut the top off with the Standard saw. This is how I get my carves on foam to look some what okay (being a perfectionist never helps with foam).

This was carved with the ZP Pro Carving set!

Happy carving!
By BigScience
After carving nearly 100 foam jacks (Michaels, Home Depot, Gemmys, Funkins, Wal-Mart, Target, etc) my favorite tool is still the Walnut Hollow Hot Knife. My only wish is that they made another narrower blade (not sharper, just narrower from front to back)

http://www.michaels.com/walnut-hollow-p ... fe&start=1

I can usually get 3-7 pumpkins (depending on carves) on a blade before needing to replace them. I wait till I get a 40-50% off coupon and buy extra blades at michaels.
By lonogod
Back from a little vacation to find lots of help from you great people. Thank you! I will be carving soon and feel much more comfortable about it now. I went and got some nail files on the way to work this morning, so I think I'm ready. Now I just have to find the time.

On a side note, are Funkin brand pumpkins the preferred fake pumpkins for carvers, or is there a brand that is better?

Thank you!

- Lonogod
By sloaner
I've tried a few different brands and by far my favorite are the Michael's pumpkins. Like BigScience I also use a hotknife and it works great.
By Minionette
I too started carving foamies with an exacto knife. I used a little tiny keyhole saw blade. So yes! It's possible. The hot knives are nice, but I'm a fan of the dremel.
By chuckwagon
My personal choice is the Michael's pumpkins. I think they are currently made by a company called "Ashland" (spelling?)... I just feel like they are more durable than the Funkins, and the cost is lower, especially with in store discounts that are constant and consistent. Wal-Mart has recently begun to sell foam pumpkins very similar to Michael's (I've only seen them in the Supercenters), and I find them good as well... Some have made mention of chipping paint on the exterior, but in all honesty, I, myself, have never had paint issues except a few Funkins I have carved in the past. The foam in the Michael's and Wal-Mart products seems to be almost "rubberized" which I like for the durability, and the Funkins almost seem like the same foam material that is found the spray can foam like the "Great Stuff" brand, which IMO seems more brittle and prone to breaking.

That's just my two cents. Stoney actually knows a LOT about the specifics of structural integrity, so I'd defer to his expertise anyway. He's the foam pumpkin oracle!
By Minionette
Haha!! Yes ,St0ney is the beneficent wizard of foam! He's been very kind and helpful to me !
By SuperSonic
I prefer the Michaels foamies too. But I also have only one Funkin. And when I carved it I felt it carved inconsistently. So I never actively tried to seek out another.

The only gripe I have with Michaels Ashland pumpkins is those stupid ribs they put in them.
By Minionette
I've started putting paper inside of my foamies because it diffuses the light and hides those ribs giving me a nice even glow....
By Cirrus
I'd probably avoid a plain X-acto blade... One slip and you could cut yourself.
Ryan - Truer words were never spoken. I only use an x-acto for outlining intricate areas, and my hot knife (the exact one pictured) for cutting out the bottom of a foamie. Well, I've managed to cut myself while removing the bottom. That little voice in my head spoke up and said "... you know -- having your arm right there is not such a good idea..." and a split second later - so fast, I could barely comprehend it - the hot knife was stuck in my left inner forearm. The bloody mess in my kitchen was worthy of any horror show. After a trip to the ER, 4 stitches (and a lot of embarrassment), I counted my blessings that I didn't sever any tendons or hit an artery. I lived to carve another day, but that was one lesson learned the hard way - respect your tools, and you can't ever be too careful.