Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By imjuscarol
I have carved 14 foam pumpkins this year, my son 3 and my daughter 2. I have always loved carving pumpkins - and hated when they would rot. I would never carve more than one or two because of it. Along comes - foam pumpkins and I am in heaven.

Things I have learned:

1) Don't use those little hand saws or xacto knives. You will drive yourself crazy - and break a lot of blades. I use a combination of a dremel and a "versa tool". The versa tool is something like a heated xacto knife. It goes through the foam like butter and you can make VERY sharp corners with it. The dremel is great for the small details and the small round edges. I carved Eye of Newt in 30 minutes with these tools - and that is from the printer to the table and lit. . You can find a versa tool on ebay for less than 14.00 including shipping - they are about 30.00 in the stores.

2) The dust when using a dremel is not nice to breathe - but a simple bandana across the lower part of your face works great. Try to keep as much dust inside the pumpkin as possible.

3) no need to take off the top - cut a hole in the bottom and put in on of those flickering battery lights - or if you have as many pumpkins as I do you can line them up on some small halloween lights and it looks really great - saves time on turning them on and on the cost of batteries. I haven't had any "shine" through the seams - or coming through the uncut areas. I am either lucky or using the right lights. I also put my light on the surface rather than "in" the pumpkin.

4) the small pieces can be taken out with a combination of dental tools and tweezers. I haven't broken one yet.

5) DO NOT - ever - cut along the seams. This will cause the pumpkin to open up and all that work becomes - well - trash. This explains why my daughter only has 2 to my son's 3.

6) It is easier to work with the pumpkin in your lap than on a table. I put a towel on mine to catch the dust.

7) Here's one of the best parts - no transfering of the pattern needed. Simply tape it down really good and go. Careful when using the dremel and small areas you can rip the paper, but if you go slow it works great. Try to keep the tape off of the lines. It makes it more difficult with the versa tool and the dremel both and it is more likely to tear.

8) Michels Craft Store has their own version which are pretty much the samething - and for a lot less. I bought medium size ones for 4.00 and the larger (about 14" high) for 7.00 (on sale of course, I'll be going back today for more).

9) Be sure to sign the bottoms so you know what you did and what year. I'll be storing mine in a large tub - stuffed with non inked paper to give them some stability - and sealed tight. I think mice would love these beauties to use a mouse mansions.

Hope this helps.
Carol
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Great advice Carol. Thanks for sharing all those tips. I've never used any "power tools" on foam yet... only hand saws or xacto knives. But I can confirm just about everything else you said. :)

However, I've watched someone carve a Michael's foam pumpkin, and while it does okay, it doesn't really have the look of a real pumpkin. Mainly because the skin is thin and the edges come out looking.... crumbly. I think Fun-kins use a different type of foam which is more solid.
By imjuscarol
I'll post some pics as soon as I get them out of the camara. With the versa tool making the cuts they come out very clean. I carved Worm Food last night in about 30 minutes - the neighbors swore it was a real pumpkin.

The dremel does leave some fuzzy edges. I use the dremel and a polishing bit to make them as smooth as possible. Make sure that you turn the speed way down for this or it "skips" all over the place. Comes out great.

I do love carving the real ones, but with 6 kids, 4 dogs, 6 puppies, the iguana, the ferret, the job, the..... carving the foam ones is faster and I can do more of them in what little time I have. I can't resist your stencils and am trying to do as many of them as possible. I couldn't do that with the real ones in the small time I have. It isn't just carving time - clean up is a lot easier with the foam ones.

One tip I didn't mention that I realized last night - turn the pumpkin while carving and not your tool. Keeping the versa tool blade straight up and down and go slow and you can make even the worm curves by simply turning the pumkin rather than trying to cut the whole worm (or whatever) out by moving only the blade.

We did carve 2 real ones this year. Of course it was more fun, the feel of the pumpkin and the smell is so much better. No dremel or versa tool this time, just some simple carving saws. Of course when they rot I am going to be sad, but that's life. I'll put them in the garden so that they can "feed" next years crop of tomatos.

Hope everyones Halloween was a wonderfully frightful event.

Carol
By imjuscarol
As promised here are the pics of some of the ZP pumpkins. Excuse the lousy pictures I was in a hurry. I put one of Worm Food unlit so you could see how the cuts came out.

http://artiststitches.com/pumpkins/

Carol