Sharing knowledge for the art of artificial craft pumpkins.
By St0ney
Yep you read it right "Balloons and Pumpkins" Make a great match.

I've been back in my Laboratory (okay Basement).

And I wanted to come up with something that will make a Cut-Out Pumpkin look good during the Day,
(We all know no matter HOW GREAT the Pattern/Carve is) They look like crap in the daylight.
They only come to life, when Lit in a somewhat dark/dim place.

Here's a Quick Fix. (and I'm Sure it will work for real Kins Also)

Blow up a 12" Round Yellow (or whatever color you Like) Balloon inside the Pumpkin.

Save Your Lungs, use a air compressor or Electric or Manual air pump.

If you want to Save/Re-use the Balloons, don't tie them, Use Balloon Clips, 144 for $3.99 at Party City.

Just Twist stem, and clamp it on.
Last edited by St0ney on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Great suggestion! And thanks for showing Frankie Stein in your example. ;) A balloon can make the presentation look neater overall too, because it hides the support lines that run along the inside of the foam pumpkins.
By St0ney
And Yes I tried it with a light inside the balloon - LOL

Just a 8watt x-mas bulb.

It looked pretty good, But the Balloon is pretty translucent, so the light was not that even.

would probably popped the balloon once it got good and hot.
And a Popped Balloon could mean a destroyed Carve/Pumpkin.

Maybe a LED light bulb would work ? they stay cool.
By pagemaster1993
That is a great idea! Just would not want to over inflate the balloon, could break some of the carve.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Maybe these tiny LEDs would be appropriate to place inside a balloon if you want it evenly lit from inside? These packs I bought are 10mm and 5mm size. Flicker effect, in yellow or white.

I talked about them in this topic: Basics: Simple LED Pumpkins. If using in a balloon, you'd just need to tape up the metal lead wires enough to make sure they won't pop the balloon.
By St0ney
Thanks Ryan:

The problem is the balloon when expanded with air is pretty thin,

The normal X-mas Bulb lit the whole pumpkin, but, closer to where the bulb is, was a different shade.
(Almost going Clear).

The Issue is the Balloon, not bulb brightness.
It didn't look Bad, just not even.

I do agree that those LED bulbs is the way to go.
By sloaner
That looks so much better with a balloon during the day. That would be cool if you filled one with Helium and the pumpkin could float. But you would need a very big balloon. But a flying ghost pumpkin pattern, you would be the only person on the block with that :)
By punchi
GENIUS IDEA!!! I carve fake kins for my job, but they never look right because the lobby isn't dark enough. This fixes that problem!