Display some killer Halloween artwork you've found or created yourself.
By Raven
Thanks to our very own Sodajazz I have become (temporarily) obsessed with paper cutting. Her cuts are absolutely fantastic by the way. Anyway, I've been designing my own patterns to cut as well and of course some creepiness has started to come out. I cut these on card stock using an X-acto knife and curse words.

I need to re-cut the yellow background since I didn't quite cut it large enough in a few places.

Just to show you size reference..

Although not a Halloween-y pattern this is another I designed and found another use for the patterns. I etched this into a clear acrylic block, which I unfortunately ended up scratching, but it was my first try after all. The pattern is etched into the back of the block which gives it a cool look although you can't really see that in the picture.

All of my designs so far can be seen here. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 55d9974326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh! I will throw this one in as well because it's awesome. I cut this but did not design it.

By pagemaster1993
Wow! Those are amazing. I really like the Wicked one.
By chuckwagon
WOW Raven, Those are really cool! That looks like a great gift giving idea! Can you tell me how you did the etched acrylic, or provide a link for a "how to"? I would love to be able to do a project like that for my daughters!!
By Raven
The acrylic blocks may indeed be Christmas gifts this year. I have a few designs for family in mind. I started out with a Dremel which is where the unfortunate scratch came in. I didn't have another block and really got mad (we are talking epic woman emotional freak out type mad). It was then that my husband, while cowering in the corner in fear of my emotional outburst, said "You do know I have a machine at work that would do that in a few seconds, right?". So off to the lab we went and in about 15 minutes my pattern was etched into the acrylic for me. So easy. That being said I'm not sure if I will do it that way if I make these into gifts. I really do pride myself on making everything by hand each year and even if I design the pattern using a machine seems like cheating. It may cut down on emotional fits of rage though. :P

DISCLAIMER: I wasn't really that mad, but I did feel like throwing the block through the window. It wouldn't have been as satisfying if the window was open. My husband was not cowering in the corner, he wasn't even home at the time, but quickly came up with a solution after hearing I was using his Dremel alone, without his prior knowledge. I broke it the last time I used it, so his concern was valid.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
That's so crafty, Raven! (I almost typed "That's so Raven" but that's something else). You're always making something... pumpkins in the Halloween season of course, but all your Christmas crafts and makeup skills and customized gifts. You have a passion for artistic hobbies, and we love seeing it.

You must have a lot of patience to make these paper cuts. My favorite is the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" one, naturally. How long does something like that take?
By Raven
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote: How long does something like that take?
Forever? This is why some hobbies are not really good for me. I don't have patience. I just want it to be done so I can see the finished product. The Something Wicked one took about 2 1/2 hours with short breaks in between cutting. I have pretty bad Carpel Tunnel and my hands were either hurting or going numb. Maybe another reason this isn't the best choice of projects. The first cutting I did I was at it for 4 hours.

Yesterday I did this one for my Mother-in-law as a birthday gift. I bought the heart template off Etsy and then changed the text inside to what I wanted. It took a few days because I kept stopping. I then tried to "float" my cut in the frame, which I was confused on because I kept reading words like "Acetate" and "Frame Spacers". It looks better on a shadow box or box frame than on this, but I managed. I'll be standing there screaming about how "I cut that out by hand!" when she opens it. :wink:

By chuckwagon
That's just amazing Raven! Excuse me while I go scrape up my own brain matter off the walls, because you just blew my mind! Major thumbs up!! Very nice work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
By GeordieKin
That is SO beautiful, Raven! Not only the work, but the way you've presented it. The frame looks perfect for displaying it. That you have Carpel Tunnel makes it even more impressive, as it's so intricate. What a special gift for your mother in law.
By Raven
Thanks everyone! My mother in law was quite impressed and I think asked at least 50 times how I did it. "With an X-acto knife" is a pretty simple explanation, but she just kept asking. :wink:

Matspud posted a lovely little Halloween saying and challenged Sodajazz and myself to come up with a pattern for it. I really want to post what Sodajazz came up with because it's brilliant, but not sure she wants to show off here. I totally would if I was her, and I do. A lot. :D
I seem to have a thing for black and orange lately..

By monstermash
These are tremendous Raven!! Absolutely stunning. You have the patience of a saint.
By ghostface
Sorry that I'm just now saying something about these, but they are beautiful! Amazing work Raven. :thumbsup:
By Raven
I've now started hand drawing patterns instead of using Inkscape or Paint on the computer. This is one I might frame and hang up. Most I just put in a scrap book album unless I send them to people.