Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By vibhandaka
I am surprised that there's not a thread for this movie yet. I thought it was pretty scary and had good story line! Did anyone else like it?
By monstermash
I thought i'd wait for someone else to start a thread for this one. Saw it last week. It was ok I suppose but nothing original about the story whatsoever. It was like all the "haunted house movie" cliches jumbled up together and filmed well. Just a little too samey for me and too easy to spot when the scares were coming, maybe thats the point I dont know. The witch on the wardrobe was the only bit that gave me a fright. I thought the dads acting was terrible, didn't really see the point in him being in the film, shoud've focused a bit more on the mother (for obvious reasons). In fact, for me, making a film about the two paranormal investigators would have been better, maybe filmed over two or three different ghostly excursions, this family being just one of them. Possibly more potential there.

Not a bad throw away horror to rent or catch on tv maybe but I dont think i'd buy it. Gimmie the Exorcist and The Others anyday. 5.5/10
By chuckwagon
I agree. I had high hopes for this movie, and it was just a bit of a let down. Kinda predictable. Worth watching, but not what i expected at all. Maybe the trailers gave it too much hype?
By Hottie McNaughty
I like it and there were a couple of spots that I had to close my eyes. Of course, I love a good haunted house movie so there's that. I have to say there was one point in this movie that actually gave me goose bumps and that has never happened to me before.
By Raven
I think I'm pretty jaded when it comes to scary movies, but this movie actually scared me. I didn't close my eyes, but there was a few times I didn't want the camera to keep moving because I didn't want to see what was going to be there. I got chills a few times, and there was one good jump where the others in the theater jumped as well. I heard a few curse words and nervous laughter after it.

I think I loved it so much because it didn't rely heavily on CGI, although there was some it wasn't overly done to the point it made things unbelievable. Plus, the haunted house type movie is my favorite.

I don't usually get scared watching movies, but this one I did. It was much better in the theater as well because the surround sound even freaked me out. :P
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I heard great reviews for The Conjuring, which got my butt to the theater to see what the buzz was about. I think my expectations were a little too high going in. I don't often get scared by movies, and I was hoping this one would spook me. It didn't quite do it for me.

That's not to say it didn't have a lot of creepy elements. Some of the ideas were really good. For example, I liked how they used that clapping game to good effect. A lot of the concepts might have been cliche, but they were shot in ways that didn't make me think, "I've seen this exact thing before." That doll was pretty horrifying, and would make a good pumpkin pattern.

There were a bunch of "jump scares" which I often find cheap. At least the scares were justified though. Usually it was some real supernatural phenomena, as opposed to an old trick like having the character's friend grab them on the shoulder from behind and scare them. Those scares are the cheapest. But here, the jumps were good. I would have liked even more chilling suspense though.

The story was decent, but ultimately it didn't have many surprises. Once the reason for the haunting is explained, things feel pretty straightforward. Maybe I was hoping for more of a twist or some other unexpected revelation that I didn't see coming. I liked the idea of the paranormal investigators researching the case. This model could be used for some sequels, where the Warrens investigate other cases.

Overall, I wasn't blown away, but it's a well made haunted house movie. So if you like those, I'd recommend it. What I'm most grateful for is an original horror movie, which got good reviews and did well at the box office. With so many of our genre releases being unimaginative remakes, reboots, and sequels, it's refreshing to see an original script do so well. And I hope it leads to more like it!

Side note: the paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren are from my home state of Connecticut (they're known for researching the Perron case in neighboring Rhode Island and the Lutz case in nearby Amityville, Long Island). In fact, Ed is from the same southern CT town where my pumpkin carving tools are manufactured. So maybe, just maybe... the tools could be haunted. Would you consider that a selling point? :wink:
By Raven
According to the trivia section on IMDB the real farmhouse the Perron's lived in had quite the history.

"Eight generations of families lived and died in the house before the Perrons moved in. Andrea Perron suggests that some of the spirits from the families never left. Deaths include two documented suicides, a poisoning death, the rape and murder of an 11-year old girl, two drownings, and the passing of four men who froze to death. Most deaths occurred within the Arnold family from which Bathsheba Sherman was descended. "

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it makes the story much more interesting if it's all true.
By keifferone
I really liked this movie. There are very few Horror movies that give me chills and there is one part in that movie that did. I like how the combined a few of the Warrens cases together to make the story in this movie. I give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: two zombie pumpkins thumbs up!
By NikkiRae
Finally watched this on Saturday. I really enjoy it. I've always been interested in the Warrens and have followed their cases. I really like that the movie not only showed the main case, but incorporated another well-known case of theirs and showed their "museum" of artifacts. It is definitely one that I will watch again.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I was just driving through the southern Connecticut, not far from home, and saw a sign that said that Lorraine Warren would be speaking some time around Halloween. If I wasn't so busy, I might have checked it out. Although, there may be other chances, she might do public speaking all the time. I don't really know.
By monstermash
Its spooky you should bring this post back up. I was just thinking of some scenes from this film but I couldn't remember that they were from this film. It wasn't until saw "The Conjuring" written in front of me that reminded me. I think I was too hasty in putting this film down. It must have grown on me in my sub-concious. I think I'd watch it again, maybe even get the dvd.
By NikkiRae
Zombie Pumpkins! wrote:I was just driving through the southern Connecticut, not far from home, and saw a sign that said that Lorraine Warren would be speaking some time around Halloween. If I wasn't so busy, I might have checked it out. Although, there may be other chances, she might do public speaking all the time. I don't really know.
If I remember correctly, she still does a number of public appearances every year. They are similar to the presentations the movie showed her and Ed doing. They have a website that lists their events if anyone is ever interested in going.
By Pargolf
The first ghost book I ever read was from the Warrens. I have seen Lorraine on the now defunct show Paranormal State. She calls everybody honey! Hey honey how ya doin. Hey Honey ya got a demonic presence in the basement. :D
By keifferone
Pargolf wrote: Hey Honey ya got a demonic presence in the basement. :D
I guess saying it like that would make people feel a little more at ease. :D
By vibhandaka
I got this on bluray and watched it again. It was just as scary the second time! Its definitely now one of my fave scary movies.