Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By b2b
Saw this one twice in one day and would have gone more times but it had a short run time in select theaters only. Hilarious mocumentary about four vampires dealing with everyday unlife in Wellington, New Zealand. Adult themes, don't bring the kiddies. Dry humor with many references to known vampire, werewolf, and zombie lore. Should be coming out in bluray May 19th for U.S. regions. Treat yourself to a fun ride with this one. Bet you can't watch it just once! :lol: :thumbsup: :lol:
Here's my review of What We Do In the Shadows:

The instant I saw a trailer for What We Do in the Shadows, it shot to the top of my watch list. A sly mockumentary poking fun at vampire genre conventions, co-created by Jemaine Clement who already won me over with his work in Flight of the Conchords. I was so anxious to see this, I even donated to their Kickstarter campaign to get the film a wider release in the US. And just my luck, it did eventually come to a city near me.

The main characters are Viago, Vladislav, Deacon, and Petyr. Just your typical group of vampire flatmates arguing over who still owes rent or whose turn it is to get the blood out of the carpet. From the start, you're sucked in with a realistic documentary style. These quirky night creatures are at first nervous around the camera, but as with most reality TV, they soon let loose and even ham it up for the audience.

Some comedies aim for the groin with lowbrow jokes or vulgar shocks. Thankfully What We Do in the Shadows is more my type. Black comedy transfused with dry wit. Ridiculous mythology is discussed with perfect deadpan delivery. What could have been a one joke movie never gets tired, thanks to these surprisingly sympathetic bloodsuckers.

Straight-faced improv might be the biggest strength, but there's time for sight gags too, making the most of the batty genre. I believe the film is unrated, and while it doesn't abuse that in any way, limited use of certain words and visuals were able to jolt a howl out of me. I didn't laugh out loud too often (I rarely do at movies) but I was grinning throughout.

They stretched a modest budget to deliver some impressive makeup and visual effects. Blood, fire, transformations, flight, other mythological creatures. They thought of everything. Even some of the soundtrack cues are fitting. If you're a hundreds-year-old succubus, of course you'd be partial to music that reminds you of the old country. It was a simpler time when you could bring a date back to your torture chamber without judgement.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything negative to say, so I'm not sure why I'm not giving this a higher rating right now. I suppose the anticipation may have built up my expectations just a little too much. Not to mention the fact that some of the best jokes were spoiled in the trailers. And, while it's no fault of the filmmakers, I admittedly wasn't in the best mood on the day I went to the theater.

All that said, soon after viewing I found myself spontaneously quoting it in my head and smiling. My Kickstarter reward is an autographed copy of this movie and I can't to watch it again. I think What We Do in the Shadows will really grow on me over time, even when I have all the jokes memorized. Maybe specifically for that reason. You know the type of comedy movie I mean. Like The Exorcist, it could be one that keeps getting funnier every single time I see it!

ImageImageImageImageImage

By monstermash
Thoroughly enjoyed this. I'd love to see more from them. Who knew string vests would look so fetching on a vampire. Maybe it had something to do with the sexy dancing. :lol: