Classics or modern, discuss your picks for the sickest flicks.
By nosferatu
Wow!

Wow!

Wow!

March 10 2010? Boo!

Great post!
By matspud
Can't wait. It looks amazing. LOVE the cheshire cat soooooocute and creepy :D
By gregh3196
DANG! the video is already not available anymore :(
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I guess this trailer isn't supposed to be out quite yet. Apparently IGN accidentally posted it early. It was meant to premiere tomorrow, in conjunction with a Comic Con appearance and Facebook promo.

I've seen the video posted many places, but then pretty swiftly removed each time it's posted. Owned by the House of Mouse, they have the power to tell people, "Remove the video or it's off with your head!"

(Edit: High quality version of the teaser trailer now officially viewable here)

I have to say, it looks quite fantastic (in a literal sense). I can't imagine what the experience would be like if I go see it in IMAX 3D. My eyes might burst out of my head, and float in mid air, ala the Cheshire Cat.

The movie seems to have a lot of CG, which may look cartoony beside the human actors, but I suppose that's the point. Anything goes in Wonderland, and rightly so.

The trailer heavily features Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter, which is no surprise. The studio knows whose face will put people in the seats. I wasn't sure about the Hatter's costume/makeup design when I first saw it, but after seeing it in full motion, I think Depp has a voice and body language to pull it off in a very memorable way.

Count me in, I'm ready to follow the white rabbit.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By The Captain
Awesome! I agree Ryan, I too thought the look of the Hatter was to much, but after seeing the trailer I've changed my mind.
By maegnus
After reviewing the list of everyone involved on imdb, I could not have been more stoked for this movie. Those teaser pictures only heightened the hype for me. After viewing the trailer, I could not have been more repulsed.

I think it looks absolutely brutal. Just another green screen CG fest. It looks like Journey to the Center of the Earth 2. Such a waste of all that talent. They took it way too far in an attempt to be whimsical, and the result is likely to be less than immersive with all the green screen. I don't understand why they didn't just use crazy costumes, sets, puppets, etc. to achieve the whimsical look, which they seemed to already have down in the pics. That much CG is only ever acceptable if it is good enough to fool your eye (ala Transformers), and everything in the trailer is obviously not there. If they wanted so much animation, they should have just made it fully animated. A Burton claymation take on the story would have clearly been more promising.

Oh well, that's one less movie to get stoked for. At least I still have 9.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Glad to have your counterpoint, maegnus. I would agree that CGI is often overused these days. Put human actors next to a CG character, and it's obvious which one isn't really there. This can be really distracting and take you out of the movie.

For some reason, I just thought of the film version of Lost in Space. Remember that random monkey-like creature the family encountered and ended up keeping like a pet (apparently named Blarp). It served no point to the plot, and was so overly cartoony, I still can't figure out why they included it (other than to show off some silly CG and appeal to little kids).

The more recent Star Wars trilogy also comes to mind. Acting and story aside, I think these films lack the "magic" of the old trilogy because it's so obvious that almost everything on screen isn't really there. I've watched the making-of documentaries, and it's no surprise that some of the sets were entirely green/blue screen. Heck, they even turned the sacred Yoda into a leap-frogging CG blur.

CG is often distracting, unless it can be done in a realistic way. As you mentioned, Transformers does a good job with this, mostly because the robots are hard metal shapes. Easier to mimic than organic matter. Can you think of some more natural CG creatures that blend in well with their human counterparts? I think Gollum from Lord of the Rings series is an example of one that works well.

But in defense of Burton's Alice in Wonderland - I would agree that the characters are obviously not real, but that seems to be their intention. When they double the size of Helena Bonham Carter's head for her role as the Red Queen, they're clearly not trying to fool the viewer's eye with realism.

From the start, I heard that this movie would be CG animated, with human actors mixed in (as opposed to a real world setting, with a couple CG characters). Who knows, perhaps we'll get so used to all the colorful CG, that it's the human actors that seem to be out of place.

I'm keeping an open mind, but trying to not get my hopes up either. Which is tough to do. I'm a long time fan of the Alice and Wonderland stories (I dressed as the Mad Hatter a couple Halloween's ago) and obviously I'm a big follower of Tim Burton's work. The cast for this movie is also full of some favorite actors. It seems like a sure fire hit with me...

Which is why I'm concerned. It seems like a no brainer that I'll love it, which means it has some lofty expectations to match. So I'm planning to go into the movie with as much of a neutral point of view as I can. Because as much as I think I may love it, I can also see it being a major let down if it's not perfect. So.... we'll wait and see!

If anyone is curious about the Tim Burton (and surprise guest) appearance at the San Diego Comic Con, you can find some recaps of the Alice in Wonderland panel hereand here.
By SuperSonic
Not to sound like a fool but I think I must disagree with maegnus. I don't think its used too much in today's films but I think it's used in the incorrect ways. In Transformers ROTF it's clearly obvious that CGI was necessary and for this movie as well, but not for the human beings (as Ryan stated Helena Bonham Carter's head looking more like an over-sized watermelon that's shaped like a heart, than a head).. I think that's how it would be used incorrectly. They don't use it in the ways CGI was supposed to be used, for they overuse it in ways they shouldn't, is all I'm trying to say.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
In many cases CGI is necessary. But in general, I'm all for the use of practical on-set effects (like puppets for creatures). If you can actually build something and film it in real life, it will always look more "present" than CGI. But when it comes down to it, the choice isn't always driven by the question "is it possible to build this in real life?" but rather "which method is cheaper?" And often, CGI is simply cheaper.
By SaneInsideInsanity
COMES OUT TOMORROW!
I HAVE MY TICKETS ALREADY I'LL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW IT IS AND I UBER UBER UBER EXCITED!
Though I have to admit being a huge lewis carrol fan I and slightly nervous of burtons version 145 years later....but we shall see won;t we.
By nosferatu
I am going to see it in approx 1 hour and 25 minutes. The 11am showing. (I am actually supposed to be working). It has not had great reviews over here but I think it looks stunning from the trailers.

The main criticism is that it is "typical Tim Burton" as if that is a bad thing. A lot of hype and a long wait so there is always the risk of disappointment but I hope for the best
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Tim Burton's films often do follow certain formulas. Which is a good segue to link you to this comedy video:

Tim Burton's Secret Formula

If you're not a fan of this director, this clip could be interpreted as being quite mocking. But all the things mentioned are exactly why I enjoy his film aesthetic. So if this is really how he works, well... keep it up Mr. Burton. :)
By SaneInsideInsanity
Bloody AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
at least in my opinion Burton's Masterpiece in my Eyes though I am a huge Alice fan and was admitingly ready to be through ally dissapointed with the story Line I have to admit it was wonderful.

GO SEE IT GO SEE IT NOW

also was so excited just watched the clip. LMAO Ryan good find.
By matspud
zombiepumpkins wrote:Tim Burton's films often do follow certain formulas. Which is a good segue to link you to this comedy video:

Tim Burton's Secret Formula

If you're not a fan of this director, this clip could be interpreted as being quite mocking. But all the things mentioned are exactly why I enjoy his film aesthetic. So if this is really how he works, well... keep it up Mr. Burton. :)
Totally agree Ryan. :D