Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Kayo
A buddy of mine ended up with huge gouges in his kins during transport and wanted to know if they were doomed to be carved now or how to save them. I said bleach water and some dry air. Anyone else know some other ways to keep them till Halloween?
By SuperSonic
Kayo wrote:A buddy of mine ended up with huge gouges in his kins during transport and wanted to know if they were doomed to be carved now or how to save them. I said bleach water and some dry air. Anyone else know some other ways to keep them till Halloween?

Bit hard to keep them for two months. I know I kept some of mine alive by using Clorox disinfectant wipes for about 6 weeks. But my gouges werent really big.

Other than that I have no idea. I wish I could help.
By Kayo
SuperSonic wrote:
Kayo wrote:A buddy of mine ended up with huge gouges in his kins during transport and wanted to know if they were doomed to be carved now or how to save them. I said bleach water and some dry air. Anyone else know some other ways to keep them till Halloween?

Bit hard to keep them for two months. I know I kept some of mine alive by using Clorox disinfectant wipes for about 6 weeks. But my gouges werent really big.

Other than that I have no idea. I wish I could help.
that was kinda my response when he emailed me. i think the one he really wants to save is the larger one that has smaller damage where from what he texted me its just skinned for a spot about the size of a coin, but the little one is pretty bad from what i could tell. i also told him to stop transporting pumpkins in the bed of his truck with home construction supplies.

maybe he can keep it going for a week and a half till i get home than donate it to my skill drills. :wink:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sealing the cuts with something like white glue or clear nail polish top coat sealer come to mind. But I've never used either to preserve a scratched up pumpkin for any length of time, so I can't speak from experience. Sealing the cuts could be a futile effort anyway, if any "germs" have gotten into the cuts. So in that cause, trying some bleach/disinfectant might be the first step.
By chuckwagon
Depending on how big of an area we are talking about, I've had luck with Vaseline before... it helps block the outside elements, and creates moisture for the "pumpkin meat" so it doesn't dry out as quickly... Another long shot would be to submerge it in bucket of water, but I don't know the long term effects of doing that. I've submerged my real 'kins for only a day or 2 at a time, but that was after carving just before Halloween night.