Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Tkaraoke
I was wondering, if pumpkins get more orange as they get ripe I'm assuming that watermelons will get greener as you let them sit? Most of the watermelons (squat ones) I came across were really light colored and poking the pattern onto them (and seeing the results) would be close to impossible.
By Joey
I can't say for sure, but I do think so from my experience. A tip I always use is to brush flour into my holes, makes them stand right out and I keep a bag (double sealed) in my kit. I think if your having a problem with the pumpkins being too light, you could mix in something not white like cinnamon or nutmeg in with the flour to help them stand out.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
That flour tip - and more - are listed on the Terrifying Tips page. And expect the tips page to get even longer in the fall when I add even more pumpkin advice! :idea:
By Tkaraoke
After thinking about it I was wondering if pepper would be fine enough to create a better guide for light colored watermelons.

I used the flour trick on pumpkins last season and I got this crazy idea....

I wonder how much better it would show up if I suspended a "black light" above me when I carve the pumpkin.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Is flour responsive to black light? If so, that sounds like a fantastic idea. And it would make for a fun and spooky carving environment too.

For light colored melons/pumpkins, I'd suggest using brown cocoa powder to see the dots, rather than pepper. It could get sticky, but you'd at least be able to lick you fingers afterwards and not worry about a sneezing fit.

Personally, I've been connecting my poked dots with a fine tip Sharpie marker lately. If I have any trouble seeing the some dots, I'll hold the melon/pumpkin at such an angle that the light is glaring off it. Then those dots are more visible.

Once all the dots are connected with the thin Sharpie line, there's no worry about knowing exactly where to cut. This is especially helpful to inexperienced carvers or kids (or when working on a highly detailed design).
By Kittie
Well dang it now I want to try it!
By Tkaraoke
I figured you could probably get one of those table or floor lamps with the long goose necks and find a way to position it over the pumpkin if the flour will respond to black light. It just seemed to be one of those plans that seemed so crazy it just might work...

...then again that is one helluva criteria for a plan! ROFL