Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By sodajazz
Tkaraoke wrote:I know it seems like we dump on the PM kit stencils every year but they look pretty weak this time around as well.
Yes but it is well deserved..If you look back over the past few years they keep churning out the same pattern books..just revamped and maybe swapping one stencil around.
By vaderknightrider
sodajazz wrote:Yes but it is well deserved..If you look back over the past few years they keep churning out the same pattern books..just revamped and maybe swapping one stencil around.
Just a way to make a buck. I can't say I blame them, but a few more patterns in their kits might boost some more sales.

Just my 2 cents' worth.
By Tkaraoke
Joey wrote:As for that rolly poker tool, I'm kinda skeptical. I tried using a similar sewing tool that was larger, and that was a disaster.
I was looking at it and thinking to myelse what a freeking cool idea....then I thought about the ridges of the pumpkin and how the tool could take off on you and ruin the transfer of the pattern. Color me skeptical as well until I actually get a chance to try it for myself.
By Tkaraoke
sodajazz wrote:Yes but it is well deserved..If you look back over the past few years they keep churning out the same pattern books.
I just keep thinking they could (and should) do much better for the self proclaimed "leaders" in the pumpkin carving tool industry.
By Nightwatchman
Tkaraoke wrote: I just keep thinking they could (and should) do much better for the self proclaimed "leaders" in the pumpkin carving tool industry.
I agree they should do much better. It would be nice if they made the contest winners available for purchase again, maybe then we could get a better variety of patterns from PM.
By Pumpkin King
I picked up the PM basic kit at Michaels which has four bonus pattterns in it that are a Michael's exlclusive (the bonus patterns appear to me to be patterns PM has offered in previous kits). From this kit there are a couple I might carve.

PM Carving Party Kit

This kit has about 5-6 patterns I haven't seen before offered by PM. Also includes two scoopers, i poke, i drill, 1 pounce wheel, and four saws.

Home Logic Kit

I found this cheap kit for under $3.00 at Wal mart.

10 patterns, one big saw, one smaller saw, one erasable pen, and one scoop.
By Tkaraoke
Pumpkin King wrote:I picked up the PM basic kit at Michaels which has four bonus pattterns in it that are a Michael's exlclusive (the bonus patterns appear to me to be patterns PM has offered in previous kits).
I'll have to run down to Michaels and see if I can score that set. I've been getting the "itch" to start buying supplies and I also need to pick up some of that spray on glue that Cy has been talking about.
By S.A.M
I used to think Pumpkin Masters were the cream of the crop and I still do hold them with high regard, especially when you see the things they try and pass off as pumpkin carving kits here in the UK! :lol:

I'll post an example of a UK carving kit bought last year at a supermarket, this is the only carving kit they were selling and the only one I could find around here:

Carving anything more than a few triangles is impossible with it.
It's obviously designed for children but I've not seen one aimed at the serious carver over here, is there one? I dunno.

That's why I have to import the proper stuff from the USA :D I wish I could just go down my local super market and pick up a new 2007 PM kit, my detail saws have warped after a couple of years use :? I mean look at the mark-up UK sellers put on the PM carving kits:

www.ebay.co.uk/pumpkinmasters
That would make it roughly $25!! As you can see the price originally was $3.44.
I'd probably be annoyed too if I bought them every year and got the same patterns :lol:
I like Pumpkin Master kits, it's how I started carving proper and left the kitchen knife just for cutting the lid.
By pumpkinhead232
i use the pumpkin gutter tool to clean out watermellons i do it in 3 minutes one person can hold the pumpkin and do the gutting at the same time we did 250 pumpkins . was at the halloween show in rosemont il and the pumpkin gutter guy was there also was pumpkinmasters . pumpkin master always tries to steal anything made with pumpkin carving tool . also pumpkin masters was sold last year to another company this is the tried year . there patterns suck this year. but i perfer pumpkin gutter tool and also sell it when i goto special events
By Tkaraoke
Wow Sam...that kit looks weak to say the least! LOL!

At least now you have a new Warren carving kit to help you out this year.
By Joey
I've seen those strange pumpkin handle things around... I think they're the same guys who make the cute little plastic orange case for the tools. I haven't even bothered trying the saws, they look pretty bad.
By Tkaraoke
to be honest I think I would be embarrassed if someone caught me using those tools on a pumpkin. That set is obviously made for children to use and I don't think anybody could take a pumpkin carver seriously if they showed up using them! LOL
By S.A.M
:lol: :lol: Don't worry I didn't use them other than to confirm just how crap they are, I've always used the Pumpkin Masters blades but as you say this year I have the real deal with the Zombie Pumpkins carving tools.
The child friendly set posted above will do for my nephew who has already claimed a pumpkin from the garden as his own, every time I see him he asks how it is :lol:

Fellow forumite matspud pointed out that last year a British company, SuperCook, sold what looks to be the PM Kits re-branded but I never saw one out in the shops, I'll try and find out if they plan to sell them again this year.
By Tkaraoke
If you can't find there I'm sure we can hook a UK brother up from this side of the pond!
:lol: