Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Lithium_joe
Thanks! :D

it surprised me actually how quickly that took hold. :?

By the time I was carving pumpkin 2, pumpkin 1 was already softening.

You can see also in the first pictures I posted that the candle illuminates through the walls of the pumpkin, so maybe I did carve it too thin after all or possibly it wasn't really ripe and solid.

Either way it's going now. I'll keep observing it for a few more days and then sling it. before it gets up and walks to the bin on it's own accord!
By nosferatu
Not having a scientific mind and definitely not one to pick holes in research experiments, the Nobel Prizes have just been announced afterall.

Indeed, if you can get the Nobel basing research on a jellyfish, then I'm sure it is feasible that invaluablePumkin research will reap its own rewards....

However, in order to comapre findings surely there was a need for a control pumpkin i.e. one from the same batch that had not been treated with anything?

Please advise Pro-Li-Joe.
By Lithium_joe
I should indeed have used a control pumpkin to be truly scientific. Remaining 'blind' in an experiment such would be hard as the outcome is not really affect by any kind of placebo or personal bias (It doesn't affect the pumpkin going mushy if I wanted WD-40 to work more than the varnish) Blinding and double blinding experimental and control groups in important especially when trying to eliminate personal biases especially where dealing with human subjects (i.e divining for water, medical trials etc.) but with pumpkins it's sohow seemed less pressing when really all I'm comparing is the effectiveness of two preservatives. And for that reason I really should have used a control pumpkin as the outcomes may just be statistical flukes.

I did at one stage envisioned just slicing them into two halves and treating each half with Product X, which would have been the more economic option and strictly speaking the more scientific as you could asses the preservative properties on the same pumpkin not merely two similar pumpkins. However carving them up was certainly more fun. :D

Today, I got a great deal of 4 large pumpkins from the local co-op and got them for half price. This is good because it means I won't have to scale down the designs so much and can make larger cuts which are more intricate. Which is good news for My Joker and Lord Voldemort designs and a few others I've got my eye on. :twisted:

I'm pretty pleased with the way the varnish has turned out so far (based on these limited results - ask me again in four or five days when the mould has really had a chance to take hold...) My initial conclusion is I might try a mixture of a water:bleach spray to hydrate the pumpkins and kill off any lingering bacteria, before sealing in varnish (if it proves to be a good preservative) to keep them looking as good as the day I carved them which will mean I can get my pumpkins sorted in advance of Halloween.

But to test that theory I'd need another pumpkin to lobotomise and then yes, I'd use a control pumpkin if my budget extened to such frivilousness. :wink:
Last edited by Lithium_joe on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By nosferatu
Co-incidentally, I too was in the Co-op today but alas, only bought three.

As you say, half price. And a pretty decent siz for a change!

Good luck with the carving and of course, keeping them "alive".
By Lithium_joe
Next question is how long will pumpkins survive, without being carved but being kept in the garage?

i.e do I go back to the co-op tomorrow to buy more while they have the bigguns in stock? :| :?:
By nosferatu
Well, on the ones I bought they say display until 5th November on the pricing label so they should be okay. Some of the other ones looked like they hadn't been treated very well in transit and had puncture wounds which is bad news.

Having read through the forum topics, I think the best advice I have seen is not to keep them on the concrete but either raised or cushioned. Sorry I can't offer any more advice as in this instance I am a complete ignoramus.

Mine currently are sitting in summer garden furniture in the garage. One is wearing sunglasses, one is wearing a sunhat and I'm afraid the other is totally naked. The tabloids would have a field day if they ever got access............
By Lithium_joe
Mine have the same date too: an encouraging sign.

I cribbed a cardboard pallet box from the co-op as they were shelf stacking and I didn't have the five arms necessary to carry that many shopping baskets. and pay at the till, so mine are sat in that, propped up on a plastic box and not on concrete.

Naked pumpkins???? Where is your sense of decency man? In these chaste times of financial crisis the last thing we need is the vegetable patch dressing up in women's frillies and whipping each other in dungeons of sexual depravity. (settle down at the back) have some proper sense of decorum and fetch it something quick for Modesty's sake!
By Sind3315
You guys are a hoot! :lol: :lol:
By Joey
I wouldn't worry too much about keeping uncut pumpkins, as long as they've got no damage or puncture wounds they can keep for months in a cool spot. I've kept mine on carpet (not so good when they finally do give up the ghost) but on top of a towel on concrete wouldn't be bad.
By Lithium_joe
In Memoriam:

Pumpkin 1 passed away this afternoon following a brief illness.

In nominae patrae, et fillet, et spiritus sanctus, amen.

No flowers. All donations to the Saint Slugfreecompostbin (German Baptist Revival) Home for Rotten Veg.
By nosferatu
Stiff upper lip time mate. He's gone to a better place......

A moments silence.......

Anyway, had to go to the doctors today (have had mumps for about 8 days - at my age!) and bought two more pumpkins along the way.

After much hilarity at my expense at the docs, I brought them home. However, I think they are plotting a coup so have placed all five under Guantanamo Bay style security. Sensory deprivation, waterboarding etc but still they remain silent.
By sodajazz
An OD of WD40 :(

So technically it would have had a longer life had you not tried any preservation technique on it.

At least it was in the name of Science :D
By OogieBoogie
In nominae patrae, et fillet, et spiritus sanctus, amen.

I just watched the Boondock Saints last night! haha One of my Faves.

Sorry about your pumpkin :(