Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
By Angry Medic
Hi everyone. I have been carving pumpkins for a while and the best way I have found to SAFELY light up your lantern for a long time is to use a Chem light. Most of you would know them as glow sticks. You just snap them, shake them and drop then in your lantern. They also come in many colors to give your lantern a creepy effect. Happy Carving!!!! :twisted:
By Dragon
I agree, you'd have to have more than one to really make the pumpkin glow.
By Tkaraoke
I know this topic is pretty old but I was wondering if anybody has tried those new LED roadside flares yet? I came across them on the web the other day and thought that just might make those artificial pumpkins glow like a son-of-a-gun!
By Kittie
I use the battery operated lights.
By Mister_JP
I'm old school, nothing beats the flicker of an actual candle. Something about that undulating flame that brightens and dims as the night goes on simply mesmerizes me. Yeah, it's more work keeping them all on, but I think its worth it.
By Dadja
Mister_JP wrote:I'm old school, nothing beats the flicker of an actual candle. Something about that undulating flame that brightens and dims as the night goes on simply mesmerizes me. Yeah, it's more work keeping them all on, but I think its worth it.
I agree, nothing beats a candle. When ever it's Halloween and I have friends over, there are no electric lights on, everything is lit with candles, especially the pumpkins...
By Tkaraoke
Mister_JP wrote:I'm old school, nothing beats the flicker of an actual candle.
I totally agree with you on that one! One of my favorite things to do is drive around the area just looking to see that spooky glow of a pumpkin that is lit with a candle. It's always been so creepy cool to me ever since I was a sprout.

I was referring to the LED light in regard to the artificial pumpkins I'm going to be carving this year. I will be doing a few real pumpkins as well because I want to try some of those cool lighting tricks over on the EXTREME PUMPKINS site. I have a Phoenix stencil I want to use in conjunction with either the incendiary road flare or the kerosene soaked TP trick! FLAME ON! LOL

Right now I'm just wondering if I should tell the neighbors so they don't call the fire department on me!
:lol:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
As I've said around here before, I'm also a purist that loves the look of a real candle flame flickering inside my jack-o-lantern. And there's something about the smell of a pumpkin slowly cooking from the inside that says "Hallowen."

For a possibly longer lasting flame, I picked up a few of these Liquid Candles by Ultra-Pure. I haven't tried them out yet, though.

And when it comes to artificial pumpkins, real candles are a no-no. Unless you want to set the pumpkin (and possibly your house) ablaze. LED pumpkin lights are a popular solution, and I'll be selling some great new lighting products on the site within the next few weeks.
By Black Mage
ZombiePumpkins wrote:For a possibly longer lasting flame, I picked up a few of these Liquid Candles by Ultra-Pure. I haven't tried them out yet, though.
I'll have to get one of those and give it a try. Usually I've just used tea candles, but they don't really work that well. Maybe these are the ticket. Anyone know how long they burn?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Well I fired up one of these liquid candles, and they seem pretty nice. Flame just like a regular candle, but I have to imagine that the lamp oil helps it burn quite a bit longer. Yet to be tested though. And I couldn't find any info on burn time by searching the web.

If you want to look into these further, you might start at the Lamplight Farms website. They make these liquid candles. "99% pure liquid paraffin for an odorless, sootless and smokeless burn." I picked mine up at Wal-Mart.
By Pumpkingrower
I had to make sure the mini wicks were trimmed because they were sooty but I think Ryan's might be the way to go and avoid that. I saved some anyway because of the long time light is the bonus.
By Patti
I mentioned this before but we use plumber's candles in our pumpkins. They're relatively inexpensive ($50.00 for 200 last year) and we usually get 4-5 hours per candle. It's a little less if it's windy, more if it's still.

Last year was a good year and we only burned about 300 or so (IIRC) candles. Not bad for the size of the display. Of course if a pumpkin meets an early end and part of a candle is left over we save it to use in another pumpkin.

Lots cheaper than votives or tea candles. :D
By Dadja
Patti wrote:I mentioned this before but we use plumber's candles in our pumpkins. They're relatively inexpensive ($50.00 for 200 last year) and we usually get 4-5 hours per candle. It's a little less if it's windy, more if it's still.

Lots cheaper than votives or tea candles. :D
Then how much do you pay for tea candles over there????
You do mean this right:
Because in Belgium they cost about 15 euro's - that's a little under $20 - for 120 or something, and they also last at least 4 hours... even 6-8
Last edited by Dadja on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I buy tealights (yea, like those in the picture Dadja) at a price of $2.99 for a 100 pack. They burn for about 4 hours.