Trading tips for gutting, transferring, and carving the real thing.
How many weeks prior to Halloween do you buy your real pumpkins?

Just curious, I usually buy mine within a week of Halloween but feel the patches/groceries stores have been picked over. Plus I've seen a few at the local Whole Foods that are begging me to buy them...

I live in Austin, TX so tyically warmer climate and no basement to store them. Just wondering how long they "typically" last. I had un uncarved one in Portland,OR I left on the back porch and it lasted 3-4 months but it was out of the sun and in pretty cold temps.

For carved jack o lanterns I'm lucky if I get to enjoy them for a week, sometimes just a few days. Ah the heat and humidity of Texas...
shaft28 wrote:How many weeks prior to Halloween do you buy your real pumpkins?

Just curious, I usually buy mine within a week of Halloween but feel the patches/groceries stores have been picked over. Plus I've seen a few at the local Whole Foods that are begging me to buy them...

I live in Austin, TX so tyically warmer climate and no basement to store them. Just wondering how long they "typically" last. I had un uncarved one in Portland,OR I left on the back porch and it lasted 3-4 months but it was out of the sun and in pretty cold temps.

For carved jack o lanterns I'm lucky if I get to enjoy them for a week, sometimes just a few days. Ah the heat and humidity of Texas...
Over here in the UK pumpkins don't generally go on sale until a couple of weeks before Halloween, so i try to buy them as soon as i see them or else there isn't much choice left. I leave them in the garage where its nice and cool, and try to carve just before Halloween.
I know that as long as there aren't any nicks or bruises on the 'kins they will last for months un-carved, but mine never last past Halloween. :lol:
i live in the PNW so i have bought 4 in the last two weeks and i'm headed out to a patch again today. i keep buying up till halloween. i keep them in the kitchen under the table so no one gets to use the kitchen table for two months :lol: than how ever many i end up get carved none stop till trick or treat.
I bought 11 today, my local store had them on 4 for a $1!!! I bought 8 there. Since that store had no more good ones, I went to another store that had them for $4 for 1.... :|
I had some on sept 5th and have 20 sitting on my deck. I could be wrong but I'm thinking they probably all get harvested around the same time so there either sitting in a store farm or at your own place and I'd rather be taking care of them myself. I'm buying more probably starting in October though the ones I have now are from a farmer near by and are only 2 dollars each but they tend to be a little smaller and greener and less shaped then the ones you get at the store (wait a minute these are squash). I ll probably buy another dozen or so over the next month the big round orange ones that I upsize my patterns probably more then double on. Be nice to find another 50 pounder.
I should mention I live in nb and the climate we get a lot of rain and it gets cold in early October. Just make sure you get them covered or inside before the first frost that can cause rought. And rotten pumpkins tend to turn to zombie pumpkins well before Halloween but let you get some practice carving.
I usually end up buying my carving pumpkins around mid-October. Not because it's necessary to do so. Usually it's about that time when I realize, "Oh, I better get pumpkins before it's too late!"

I sometimes worry about buying too early, and having them not keep. But honestly, that shouldn't be a concern. As long as there are no breaks in the surface of the skin, and you store them well (not too hot, not too cold, no frost) you would be fine. I've had leftover Halloween pumpkins last until spring!

So if you find good pumpkins worth buying, don't hesitate to buy early. Just keep an eye on them. Keep them comfortable and safe.
But not to comfortable because you don't want to get to attached. Keep in mind you are going to cut out the skull cap and scoop out there guts. If you get to attached then this may be difficult.
Ajax wrote:But not to comfortable because you don't want to get to attached. Keep in mind you are going to cut out the skull cap and scoop out there guts. If you get to attached then this may be difficult.
thats kinda why i get them so early! i have to get to know them to know what face to give them :lol:

also the earlier you can start buying the longer you have to collect large amounts of the ones that are JUST RIGHT for what you need them for... and try to share zombie pumpkins with the patches before they are over worked from people pumpkin hunting. so i start the year with a list of planned patterns than as Ryan releases them if i really like them they will go on that list and i will be looking for pumpkins that fit those patterns. i cant afford to pick all at once for my own sanity i need to go be in the pumpkin patch twice a week up till halloween because thats how i always grew up.
Since I buy 30 pumpkins a year, its tough to buy them close to Halloween, which ultimately is what I would prefer.

I tend to start buying in the last full week of September, and keep buying until I have all of them. I then choose the patterns, up-size if needed and I'm on my way.

However one of the ones I bought seems a tad shady to me. He might end up rotting due to the lack of stem.
SuperSonic wrote:....However one of the ones I bought seems a tad shady to me. He might end up rotting due to the lack of stem.
if its still shady and carve able next week hack it up with like the logo or something else to draw attention. i mean if its going to die anyway...
Ajax wrote:But not to comfortable because you don't want to get to attached. Keep in mind you are going to cut out the skull cap and scoop out there guts. If you get to attached then this may be difficult.
I was planning on naming them and keep them in my bed with me on stormy nights...that's not too attached is it?
shaft28 wrote:
I was planning on naming them and keep them in my bed with me on stormy nights...that's not too attached is it?

As long as you leave before they wake up and don't call them your golden.