Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
Has anyone tried this Power Master Pumpkin Carving Saw yet? New for this year, it uses the common carving saws we all know and love, but it's motorized and battery operated.

They claim it's "designed for comfort and detailed carving." As for the comfort, I think it could be a little better designed on the ergonomic level. With the battery weight on the opposite end of the saw, it's a little "back-heavy."

And as for the claim that it's good for detailed carving, I'm a little concerned that it would be easy to slip and cut too far. This little blade goes back and forth quickly! But we'll see. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll report my findings when I do.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Mister_JP
I want to see myself too. I plan on buying one and trying it out. I have a feeling doing tight curves with this thing will be difficult.

I may pick one up tomorrow and give it a shot, I'll post my findings if I do.
By Joey
I picked one up today... They're actually a little scary. I haven't tried in on a pumpkin yet, but I already think there should be some sort of safety switch or something that can stop it from going off whenever it feels like it. Taking out the batteries is a bit of a hassle.
By unastrike
Worked great for long, easy cuts. Not a good idea for detailed ones as the sawed bits of pumpkin actually start to pool up in front of the blade if you're not fast enough. It can make it tough to keep track of your stencil marks.

The button on it is really sensitive and really does need some kind of safety.

If you're doing a bunch of easy cuts for a number of pumpkins, I'd say it would be a good buy. Otherwise, just stick to your normal tools.
By Niceworkbonedaddy
ok tried the new power tool thingy on my first pumpkin the willy wonka stencil .. that thing is dangerous LOL and really only good on long lines with not much curves i also found the blade bent easy. i went back to the good ol saws cause i you can controll where they go ...
By Punk'n'Queen
I bought a generic PM power saw at Savon...it looks dangerous but worth a shot for 6 bucks! (And it came with a poker too!) I think I will mostly use it to open up the pumpkins and not so much for carving....yep LAZY. OR just want more time for carving :wink:
By badgers
I have a Halloween Works Pumpkin Carver which is battery powered carving saw. The sawing blade is not replacable like the Pumpkin Masters PowerSaw, but it is similar in design. Used it last year and it works quite well on long or large cuts, and on the artifical pumpkins. On the more detailed cuts it's easier with the regular saws.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Final word on the power master: I still think it's a bit awkward to hold. But it's a decent addition to the carving arsenal. I thought my hand might fly out of control, but the tool doesn't propel itself forward or anything... so as long as you're careful it shouldn't lead to any mistakes. It actually handles turns pretty well.

All in all, it doesn't make carving go that much faster. For best control, the regular ol' tools still might be best. But the power master saw is handy to have around for those long lines. Especially when your hand is starting to get sore from carving your 20th pumpkin.
Last edited by Zombie Pumpkins! on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Kittie
I loved it. I bought 3 of them actually. If you scrape the pumpkin to 1 inch thick, they work great. I still don't like to use them on curves, but for longer lines, they helped speed up carving our 31 pumpkins for last year. This year we go for 35!!!
By Angel
I love mine, too. I originally had a saw without a changeable blade, but I bought the Pumpkin Masters saw last year for the higher quality, replaceable blades.

Like stated before, you can't use it on the details, but it works great for long cuts. You can wipe them out in no time.
By Tkaraoke
I bought one but haven't used it yet but I would think that for taking huge chunks out of a pumpkin it would be great. Right now I'm still trying to get tools together for REAL and FAKE pumpkins.
By vaderknightrider
I've used the saw last year...I like it a lot. I think it's better for general straight lines. I never used it for intricate carving because I'm afraid I'll break the saw blade.
By Kittie
Yeah we broke a few last year while trying to hurry on some of our pumpkins. But for straight lines its just great!
By vaderknightrider
I just saw the new power saw for this year. It's got a poker attachment as well as 2 saws.

Why did they have to add a poker attachment? I like it the old-fashioned way...poke 'em by hand.
By Joey
I saw that today too... though I didn't realize that the poker was actually supposed to be powered, I figured it was just an add in.

Seems counter productive, I don't see how you can get the amount of precision needed for poking with that monster.