Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By Ajax
Put me down for three rolls next year.
By GUS
Ryan could you give me dimensions & weight for a roll please? also how long till it's in stock? i'd like to do a few real carves again this year & whilst I've acytually seen Saral paper is now available in the uk only 1 store has it at a decent price..
Think it's worth getting with int p+p compared to how stores are selling it (to quilters mainly)

As the season is almost upon us & I fear more postal strikes this year, so the clock is well & truly ticking..loudly.
By zombombie
GUS, where in the UK is it available from? I've been looking but never found it.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
GUS wrote:Ryan could you give me dimensions & weight for a roll please? also how long till it's in stock?
Parcel dimensions can vary, depending on what packing materials I have available at the time I prepare your order. (I'm still making choices about what shipping boxes to keep on hand).

Weight for 1 roll, plus packing materials, would be approx. 10 oz.

Shipping cost for International First Class to the UK would be around $8.00 USD

Saral Transfer paper has been ordered and should be in stock this week.
By CorpseBride
zombiepumpkins wrote:
GUS wrote:Ryan could you give me dimensions & weight for a roll please? also how long till it's in stock?
Saral Transfer paper has been ordered and should be in stock this week.
Awesome! Because I have a lot of stuff I want to order but was waiting for the paper to come in! Yay!
By GUS
Edinburghzombie wrote:GUS, where in the UK is it available from? I've been looking but never found it.
I found it in only one colour especially for quilters & the like, works out at £10.90 & is the cheapest in the uk that i could find (well stumble upon) ..pure chance.

Which means a general order with ryan will be pretty darn cheap & in a more useful colour (blue) especially if you order a couple of things from the shocking shop.
By zombombie
GUS wrote:
Edinburghzombie wrote:GUS, where in the UK is it available from? I've been looking but never found it.
I found it in only one colour especially for quilters & the like, works out at £10.90 & is the cheapest in the uk that i could find (well stumble upon) ..pure chance.

Which means a general order with ryan will be pretty darn cheap & in a more useful colour (blue) especially if you order a couple of things from the shocking shop.
Yep, that's what I'll be doing :) Cheers!
By GUS
It's nice to know we can actually get some here if push comes to shove, I based my findings on a rough calc of US dollars to the pound (via paypal) 1st sept 2010 rates

17 bucks = £11.33, which due to Ryans very fair shipping rates gives an idea of price, packing, int 1st class shipping, ..adding a few items (& postage rises obviously), but going on the base price this works well for a few items you've always lusted after!
By SuperSonic
I will attempt this year to try some Saral Paper. I only have one question. How many rolls do I need for 32 kins?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
SuperSonic wrote:I will attempt this year to try some Saral Paper. I only have one question. How many rolls do I need for 32 kins?
Well the rolls are 12 feet (144 inches) long.

Considering most patterns fit on a piece of paper that is 8.5 inches wide, that's enough for at least 17 patterns fitting on a roll.

But if you only cut as much transfer paper as needed for the specific design, you can get several more. Also, if you really want to be practical and frugal, you can reuse the paper.

Sonic, I'd say 2 rolls would probably cover your 32 kins, but maybe 3 to be safe. Never hurts to have more of this stuff on hand. :)
By SuperSonic
how would you figure out how much is needed for a certain design?

I'd need to pre cut the paper then the pattern or is there an easier way?
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Sonic, I cut around the printed pattern first, then lay it over the transfer paper, and cut around the transfer just slightly larger than the pattern itself. Like this, basically:

Also, always remember to have the light side of the transfer paper toward your pattern, and the dark blue side toward the pumpkin. Otherwise you'll be slapping face to palm if you try to transfer it with the paper backwards. :lol:
By nosferatu
The Saral paper was my second ZP Epiphany. (The first being the patterns)

I found Icould use the same sheet over and over for several pumpkins. It was only when it became wet, it became an issue but by then it had already done three or four pumpkins.
Theoretically, I should have two thirds of a roll left at least. However, no idea where it is.

Gus - I have only ever found graphite paper over here which was basically useless. White was slightly better than black but both were smudgy and very absorbent. Even the hint of humidity in the room was enough to make it look like I'd been using it to mop up a spilt drink.