Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By SuperSonic
zombiepumpkins wrote:
SuperSonic wrote:dont mind me im almost 19 and prefer old school methods :oops:
Have you tried the transfer paper? What didn't you like about it? I welcome all feedback, good or bad.
well to be honest i've never tryed transfer paper
But the main reason.....

I grew up with it and its traddition :D :twisted:
By SuperSonic
hence why im the old school man :D i still buy cds for gods sake :P
By Zombie Pumpkins!
SuperSonic wrote:well to be honest i've never tryed transfer paper But the main reason.... I grew up with it and its traddition :D :twisted:
I certainly appreciate your love for tradition, SuperSonic. But the purpose of this Product Review section is to share your opinions after you've tried the product. To say you prefer another method over transfer paper implies that there's something you don't like about it.
By Raven
SuperSonic,

I really was old school too. I still light my pumpkins with candles, I use the little Pumpkin Masters tool to carve with (I did buy the pro set this year), I scoop with a spoon, and I was a hole puncher. It really is like a tradition. However, I really recommend trying the Saral paper or other transfer paper. I was amazed how easy it was and how much less time it took. Plus after carving I didn't have to worry about fixing any lines that still have half a hole showing. I didn't have to refer back to the original design to make sure I was following the right line of holes. In the past I have had to connect the dots with a pen anyway with more intricate patterns. At least give it a try. If you prefer the hole poking after trying you didn't lose a thing.
By Zombie Pumpkins!
For those who don't want to commit to buying a whole roll, but want to give transfer paper a try to see if you'd like it, you can request a free sample. Here's how to do it.
By SuperSonic
zombiepumpkins wrote:
SuperSonic wrote:well to be honest i've never tryed transfer paper But the main reason.... I grew up with it and its traddition :D :twisted:
I certainly appreciate your love for tradition, SuperSonic. But the purpose of this Product Review section is to share your opinions after you've tried the product. To say you prefer another method over transfer paper implies that there's something you don't like about it.
however i have used it for other things (not saral specifically) but a look alike on something (i was only 13 and am NOW realizing this) and its like tracing paper but it bled through what i was doing for a prop one year and havent used anything similar to it since
By Joey
I was big on the old school poking style, never liked the glue on as it wasn't useful for shading. After trying out the seral paper tonight, I'm never going back to poking again!

It really works fantastically. I was worried that the guts flying everywhere from my shading with the dremel would rub the lines off, but I didn't have any problems on either the watermelon or the pumpkin I carved. They show up nice and bold, and it was really easy to trace on. I was surprised at how durable the paper was, I thought the tape I was using to stick the pattern on would tear it, but it's fine. Really a great use of $9.

My only thought is that the blue doesn't stand out as well on the watermelon, perhaps red would be better there.
By Kittie
SuperSonic wrote:dont mind me im almost 19 and prefer old school methods :oops:
Yeah, alot of people this day and age are stuck in the Old School. :P If we don't move forward with innovations, we would still be stuck in the stone age! (You know I am just teasing you right? :P )

Anyway, I LOVE the Saral Transfer paper. I pre patterened all of our pumpkins last season. It saved SO much time. to make sure it wouldn't whipe off, I went over them with a permanent marker. The reason for that was we gutted them after the transfering of the patterns, and I didn't want the gut juices to wash the patterns off. It saved us SO Much time!!
By paddy_babe
Thats a good idea kittie, I think I'll try that this year and see how it goes :D
By Carving Queen
I am looking forward to trying the saral paper! I am tired of the cramped hand syndrome I get from poking so many pumpkins.
By Paperjane9
I just got finished transferring 4 patterns on my 'kins using the Saral paper and my hand doesn't hurt at all. I re-used one piece three times and it worked great. By the third one, the lines may not be quite as dark, but it still looks good. Yes, it is true that it is still hard to get into the grooves~ but I had that problem with poking too. The poker would barely penetrate and makes it a little difficult to see. But I give this product a 15 out of 10 for time and ease of use. I also wound up missing a line or two here and there, so I recommend using any other color but black ink to do your tracing. I plan to pick up a few more 'kins now that I have all these groovy tools to speed up the process. Can't wait to try my pro carving tools! :D :D :D
By zombombie
I did a 'test' 'kin yesterday (mostly because I couldnt' wait until Halloween) and used my pro carving tool. That is a sweet piece of hardware! I can see why people have 2 though, it would make it easier just to trade tools rather than trade blades each time. Still a great item though!
By GUS
Yes it's to keep in the zone, head down & carving, one is good, 2 means it's there for the trickier aspects without breaking the stroke, & also means you are inclined to allow under supervison borrowing of a tool & better results for the guest, rather than making them feel inadequate.
By Kerianne19
Will the Saral Paper be back in the shop this season? I missed the boat :( I seriously need to be a better planner...
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Got more on order. Should be any day now. Hopefully today or tomorrow maybe?