Reviews of specific carving products by those who've used them.
By FlyTags
Hey, has anyone tried out the "Dremel 764-04 Pumpkin Carving Kit"? It's available for $20 over at Amazon.com

Click Here

I'm curious as to how handy (and accurate) this thing actually is. :?

By Dans banana Loafcake
I can see the appeal for doing a 3 tone pumpkin by taking the surface layer off, but aren't pumpkins abit too fleshy to use a dremel on? May see if I can get one sent over here though.

Dan
By FlyTags
True. A Dremel tool does seem like a bit too much tool for the job. I've always been a pumpkin carving purist. A set of kitchen knives and my bare hands. Band-aids and gauze are optional. hehe..

But, I'm always willing to take a look at the latest carving technology. Give it some time and we'll probably be seeing laser carving devices. :roll:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
I assumed Dremel's pumpkin tool was somehow specifically designed to work with pumpkin skin. But having not tried it yet, I can't say. It might just be their normal whirring tool, only in a festive orange casing for the holiday.

Being a purist is a good thing, FlyTags, but I've seen what you've done with kitchen knives. :P Do yourself a favor this year, and spring for the little saw carving kits!
By FlyTags
haha.. Oh sure, I may carve more hand than pumpkin, but I never was able to get used to the mini-saws with the orange handles. I always felt like I should be cutting down a tiny bonsai tree while wearing overalls and a plaid shirt.
By Flak
Amazon.com wrote:Even the least artistic among us can have the coolest pumpkins in the neighborhood this year with Dremel's carving kit. It's a neat, buzzy little unit that carves off layers of pumpkin flesh to let the light glow through. It isn't meant to cut all the way through the pumpkin, and the effect is perfectly spooky.
Yeah this is meant more for shading and considering all the bad reviews it certainly doesn't do such a great job, especially when it comes to details.
By pumpkinhead232
in wisconsin a tv news staions did a report with a dremil tool and inovation company they used around 15 people too see which tool work the dremil was a good tool but very messy tool the peel went all over the place and the tool was all slimey . i don't like using the tool that much . this company from butler pa made a carving tool saw that has changable parts . not messy when carving also another company made to tool that has changabale part with a cutter , drill or shaver , and a small outliner tool this tool works very good
steve
By Afiendslullaby
I bought both myself... I've never used a dremel until today actually.. and I'm having issues as to how deep I should carve with it.. I seem to be getting nowhere with the depth to get a bit of light in.. But for the smaller detailed areas - it works great - and I don't mind the mess since we're trying to pickle it anyways, so most of the mess should come off after a good cleaning.. I really want to try the battery operated saw though. That would make the bigger pieces wayyyy easier.
By StinkBeetlse
I have 2 of them myself, i love them, thats why i bought a second one. :lol: its not that great when you have to cover bigger areas, but for more detailed templates it comes in handy. i will never carve a pumpkin with anything else other them my dremel.....i love it. :D
By icecrystal
I bought the Pumpking Carving Dremel Tool at WalMart about two weeks ago and have used it to carve three pumpkins since then. One was done at my work for my boss, with our company logo on it to display in the store. The second is currently in the store [The Headless Horseman pattern!] but I don't have a picture of it yet, and the third I just did tonight because i'm incredibly impatient, and the pumpkin is small enough to fit in my fridge.

I have yet to convert the file of the work pumpkin to something uploadable, but I do have a picture of the third pumpkin.

It's not entirely finished, I want to scrape out more of the skull with the dremel in the morning, but I've stayed up late enough haha.. it's nearly midnight and I have to get up at 5 for work!

Just in case anyone wanted to see how a Dremel-tooled pumpkin looks. :)
By Kittie
Can I leave the walls a bit less then 1 inch thick, or does it have to be thinner? Anyone have one of these? Anyone used one? Do they work good for cutting all the way through? Or just scraping?
By CombichristGirl
i dont have the pumpkin dremel but i do have a regular 5 speed one. i think they are great for real or foam and u just need a few different bits. i leave mine around 2 or 3 speed depending. it goes through real pumpkins very fast u have to watch or it will pull itself into the pumpkin just on its own depth wise. anyone wanting to get one should do so flea markets are a good place to go to find some nice used ones. though i havent used the one they made just for carving pumpkins i believe its 3000 rpms? its plenty hope that helps at all :)
By Kittie
Are they good for doing cut through patterns? Or just for shading?
By CombichristGirl
really just shading. they will cut through funkins :). i am going out bit shopping soon so i will let anyone know if we can magyver anything for cut throughs :P :lol:
By SaneInsideInsanity
I also use a real dremel which is a wondrous thing however i don't think the actual kit would be worth it for cut through patterns.