Request a pumpkin pattern or critique the current collection.
By Dadja
My Lord of the Rings obsession has a face: Liv Tyler. I would love a "Liv as Arwen" pattern, although I fear this would result in me carving another pumpkin with Livs image every week for the rest of my life...
By kittehkat
In fact, it'd be cool to get Sam and Frodo, too. I think there just needs to be an entire LOTR section, maybe. :wink: Seriously, though, there should be at least those guys, and Legolas and Arwen, eh? Plus, if there was a Legolas stencil, more people would probably join.
By Dadja
Dadja wrote:My Lord of the Rings obsession has a face: Liv Tyler. I would love a "Liv as Arwen" pattern, although I fear this would result in me carving another pumpkin with Livs image every week for the rest of my life...
Hmmz, Ryan, I was so sure you had answered that this might be possible, but I can't seem to find that post :P

Anywayz, still hoping... :wink:
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Oh, did I say that Liv might be possible? I don't know what you're talking about Dadja. :roll:

Honestly though, Liv would be a tough one. Same goes for most female faces. I also want to do a design of Elvira, but I run into the same problems.

It all comes down to the technical limitations of the pumpkin carving art form. Females with fair skin simply don't provide many facial features to keep everything connected.

Features like mustaches, glasses, and wrinkles help keep the pumpkin flesh connected. That's why hairy, wrinkly monsters are the easiest designs to create. But a pretty lass like Liv would need dark circles under her eyes and lots of deep shadows to stay together, which might hurt the overall likeness.

Of course, this brings up the concept of the other style of pumpkin carving. The method of only scraping away part of the pumpkin skin in some areas. This allows for more detail and more than one level of shading. But it's not a style of stencil I currently offer here. So far, I've been trying to keep it simple and stick to the traditional cut-out method.

What do you think? Would you be interested in stencils that involve the scrape away method of carving?
By Kittie
We used a butter knife to do the beginning of our scrapings. We would slightly cut the outer surface and then chip away with a butter knife, and then use a spoon. Worked for me!
By Drayco
ZombiePumpkins wrote:What do you think? Would you be interested in stencils that involve the scrape away method of carving?
Sounds like a good idea for a new topic or next poll on your main site! :wink: Personally I like the simple but great looking cut-out patterns you designed. On the other hand adding scrape away patterns may increase interest in new or present members and challenge the more traditional cut-out carving purest such as myself to try something new.
By GeologySage
I really love the simple stylized patterns that are offered on here.

Ya know, other companies offer simple designs... but they just do not have that cool looking ZP style to em...

I would say... keep off of the shaded patterns... unless they retained the simple styles of the straight cut outs... Perhaps try one and see how it works out...

But honestly... I say just keep the straight cut outs lol, they all look fantastic!
By Dadja
I get what your saying

The thing is, if you compare Ryan's designs to other 'simple' patterns there still is a huge difference, I think all ZP-patterns have a authenticity, a certain personality even. There just different, and I think that that would be the same for shaded patterns. I know you can take this very far. I've seen patterns with 2 or 3 different shades, I mean that's no fun anymore, but some accents in shade might be cool. I don't know.

I'm more than happy with the current designs, but it wouldn't hurt to try a new thing, no? Whatever the Patch Master decides is cool by me :D

Thanx for the tips Kittie
By Dans banana Loafcake
ZombiePumpkins wrote:Honestly though, Liv would be a tough one. Same goes for most female faces. I also want to do a design of Elvira, but I run into the same problems.

It all comes down to the technical limitations of the pumpkin carving art form. Females with fair skin simply don't provide many facial features to keep everything connected.
But Ryan, You did an outstanding stencil of Buffy and she was fair skinned and everything. I sure you could do it. Infact your buffy stencil is one of my favourite because its one of the few girl stencils you've got. Something different.

Dan
By Zombie Pumpkins!
Dans banana Loafcake wrote:But Ryan, You did an outstanding stencil of Buffy and she was fair skinned and everything.
I'll see what I can do, Dan. We'll see if Buffy was a lucky fluke or not. :)