Talking about spooky store scores and online oddity offerings.
By monstermash
Wow, just looked at the Wilkos range online. Never seen so much s**t in all my life. I don't get annoyed about the lack of decent stuff over here anymore I just laugh at how bad it all is. It's like a big joke to see how tacky and cheap they can make things that people will still buy. I'd much rather make my own version of all most anything listed there or at any supermarket or anywhere else.
By monstermash
Boke. Did he say costumes that are really good quality? They looked like the same cheapest of cheap material that you see getting churned out every year. The only things I might have considered getting are the Skull marshmallows although i'd put m own raspberry jam in the middle. Some of the smaller sweets/lollies might be ok and possibly the skull candle sticks. As for the rest its just not for me.
By matspud
Still nothing in TKMaxx - about the only place other than Asda that (usually) has :( anything vaguely decent
By nosferatu
The costumes are always poor and poorly made. I didn't buy anything at all at Asda last year apart from pumpkins. They will have a whole row of stuff but its just rubbish usually. TK Maxx does do better but there is never much.

I find the more expensive card shops have better items but again it's a pretty limited range. All of the retailers don't seem to appreciate that there is a market out there of people willing to pay a higher premium for a better product. I guarantee though, no matter how poor Asda's range is, Tesco's will be far worse and twice as expensive.
By matspud
I think the problem in the UK is that the stores stock up on the wrong stuff so end up having lots left so reduce what they order the following year. Also they order the same type of stuff year in year out - they need to vary the stock more - and make it less "cute"
:x
By S.A.M
matspud wrote:I think the problem in the UK is that the stores stock up on the wrong stuff so end up having lots left so reduce what they order the following year. Also they order the same type of stuff year in year out - they need to vary the stock more - and make it less "cute"
:x
That's it isn't it? They stock the cheapest tat they can procure and no doubt moan at how much is left over every year and are then reluctant to stock anything of any quality through fear of being left with dead stock. I know Halloween is about kids and that's where all this cutesy cack is coming from but come on, when I was a kid the more gruesome the better!
Wilko and Asda what a joke! All I want from Asda are the cheap pumpkins if they have them on offer this year. I've lost faith in any UK retailers ability to 'get' Halloween, quite clearly and as bizarre as it is, we Halloween fans are not on their radar as potential customers. There also seems to be a lack of any decent sites offering good quality Halloween items, eBay is a wash with Poundland fodder at marked up prices + p&p, the whole situation is a joke.

/end_rant
By monstermash
I love this thread! It's amazing to me that who ever does the buying for these shops is so clueless that they will keep buying the same "cutesy cack" ( :lol: ) again and again knowing full well that they will be stuck with more than half left over. Do they think that its not selling because people aren't really into halloween? That's probably the case as I doubt they would think for a second that the fact no one wants the stuff is because its utter garbage. You just have to look at America to see that if the product is right and the marketing is strong theres big gucks to be made.
By nosferatu
The problem is that all the supermarket stock is made in China or India. Its all manufactured so cheapily that Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury etc pay virtually nothing and the mark up is huge so they make a massive profit on selling items that consumers treat as throwaway. Those of us on here who want to buy quality will have to wait until a slightly more upmarket retailer decides to stock superior items.

I once had high hopes for Debenhams and M&S but they too have gone down the kids costumes route. Manufactured for pence, sold for pounds.
By Lala
MooBoo wrote:Poundworld have got their halloween stock out, nothing special but some nice signs and a few props (sorry no pics). A store called discount uk popped up last year, not sure how wide spread they are but they have got some nice goodies too. :D
Just quoting this as I find a store called "PoundWorld" the funniest thing I have ever heard. I don't know why it amuses me so much.
By nosferatu
Lala wrote:
MooBoo wrote:Poundworld have got their halloween stock out, nothing special but some nice signs and a few props (sorry no pics). A store called discount uk popped up last year, not sure how wide spread they are but they have got some nice goodies too.  :D
Just quoting this as I find a store called "PoundWorld" the funniest thing I have ever heard. I don't know why it amuses me so much.
To double your merriment we also have Poundland. Everything costs £1. It's usually all tat, remainders or rejects.
By monstermash
The stuff in poundland is usually the sort of thing you'd pay 50p for.

BRIAN BUTTERFIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poundfield, love it. I'd marry Brian Butterfield in a heartbeat he's the man of my dreams. :lol: I love all his karaoke and diet sketches. What ever happened to Peter Serafinowicz' show? I thought it was really good.
By MooBoo
monstermash wrote:The stuff in poundland is usually the sort of thing you'd pay 50p for.
It's very sad that our major source of halloween stock is the pound stores. I'm sure there are people more than willing to pay extra for decent quality products, if only one store would take a chance. I thought that tk maxx might up their game but they have been disappointing of late!
By GeordieKin
My nearest city is Newcastle (on Tyne). It's a 'party' city in many ways, and the shops usually get quite a bit of Halloween stuff in. Mostly tat, but I'll be going there in a few weeks so I'll see what's there is this year. I wouldn't mind some of those chocolate pumpkins!