Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
By zombombie
Two birds with one stone here:

Pagmeaster & ZP! I didn't make any mods to the gun other than the paint. 2 reasons for this:

1. I didn't want to take the gun apart and end up not being able to put it back together, then needing to buy a new one!

2. Because it's just paint work and a few minor additions, it means the gun still fires foam darts - which is excellent later into the party and we can get silly ;)

I've ordered these little guys from ebay for a few pounds so hopefully these will do the trick:

They're just small but I think 6 of them will look rather neat if I can get the bandolier/utility belt right.

ZP! I like the idea of small knives in the bandolier also. Any ideas on how I could go about that? I obviously don't want to be going out and buying real knives, you think maybe toys could pass? I still have paint so I can modify them a little.

Thanks so much everyone - the creative juices are really flowing now, I can't wait to get more work done on my costume :)
By pagemaster1993
If you did get the nerf bandolier they may fit. The holsters for darts are stretchy elastic if I am correct. I would not know, I just buy the guns. I also see your reasoning for not modding. Either way I think it will look awesome when your costume is in complete order.
By zombombie
I like the idea of the Nerf bandolier, my only issue is I don't know how easy it would be to either dye a different colour to get rid of that bright orange, or modify in such a way that you couldn't see the orange.
By pagemaster1993
I did not realize it had orange on it. Like I said before I do not have on, and do not know that the fabric it is made out of. My only suggestion is to buy or make a bandolier. I found this cheap on on Amazon if you are interested. It is all black and is actually cheaper than the nerf one.

http://www.amazon.com/SHOTGUN-Shell-40- ... =Bandolier

They have others available as well if you can find something cheaper. You could also check out your local place that sales gun or hunting equipment.
By pagemaster1993
Edinburghzombie wrote:That's perfect - now I need to find a cheap one in the UK!! Thanks Pagemaster!
Are you not able to order through Amazon in the U.K.?
By sloaner
The steam punk idea is cool. I always found it interesting. What did you use for the little cogs on the gun?
By pagemaster1993
I completely forgot about army surplus. Should be cheap, because most of it was used. The only down side is that from what I saw at army surplus stores in my area is that everything is olive drab.
By monstermash
EZ I was going to suggest a shotgun belt. I used one last year for my costume and it worked great, looked really authentic too. It wasn't to expensive, I think about £20 which was ok considering it was real leather. Try ebay now and then for new listings and check out all the great second hand shops in Edinburgh, you might just find a bargain. I would have let you borrow my one but I might be needing it myself.
By monstermash
EZ there is a Vintage BRADY Hand Sewn Leather 12 Bore Cartridge Belt on ebay right now with only 50 mins to go. Its only a tenner right now and is quite nice. I hope you see this message in time!!!

Oh and I saw this pic while browsing GoE and thought it might inspire you:
By ghostface
That is a great pic monstermash!
By SuperSonic
I have an idea on the ammo belt. Not sure if its too your liking.

Take a belt that is about 1 1/4" approx across (width) and just oversized compared to your shoulder (a belt from an edge sander should do just fine).

Take some old school film canisters, fill them with water and hot glue/caulk the lids shut so that the water doesn't seep through.

With the same method, glue/fasten the canisters to the belt.

Then add a strip of rubber from an old car mat down the belt so its confortable to wear. This should cover about 7/8 to 1".

Hope that makes some sense.

:)