Chronicle your costume creation and share photos of your disguise.
I was watching some old Backyard F.X. videos and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cqXKwKJ ... ure=relmfu

They call them goggles but they are more like binoculars, you could use them as anything you would like, and best of all they could be made completely differently for your needs.
Three pages of excited forum replies isn't enough to prove that people will "get" it and appreciate a costume like this? I guess it depends who your audience is though, and the general Halloween party attendee might not have the same thoughts as a forum full of Halloween fans. Still, I like the idea and you made some good progress with it. If you decide to change your costume plans, I hope you'll keep us up to date. I'm sure you have plenty of other good schemes up your (tattooed) sleeve.
I think once people see it they will get that it is Steampunk. If they do not recognize it, then you get to spread the word about it. I think you should go for it.
OK, getting the gears going on my project again. Firstly, a nice little addition to any demon hunter's arsenal:

And the little jars I ordered a very little:

But I think this works really well! I've tied some olive green ribbon around three of the jars so they can hang off my belt:

And then I mixed a little food colouring to some water and got these:

I'm pretty happy with how my props have come along so far. Next up I think is clothing...
With a good costume, it's often all about the details. I always get compliments on the small props I attach to my costumes. Even a few small bottles can complete a look. Glad to see you moving forward on this. You're way ahead of the game.

I assume the pencil sharpener is just in the photo for size reference, but that could be a handy took of you end up facing any vampires. You can quickly turn pencils into tiny stakes to impale the vamp's heart! :)=